Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

200 Grain Wildcat - so far so good

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2005, 11:47 PM
Platinum Member

200 Grain Wildcat - so far so good

I have a good supply of 200 grain Wildcat bullets waiting for my new 7mm Allen Mag and I just couldn’t stand it, seeing them sitting there, and waiting for the new gun, so I tried them in my 7mmWby.

I talked to Richard about them and he didn’t think they would stabilize in my gun but curiosity got the best of me and I went out this afternoon and shot a ladder test at 300 yards using the 200 grain Wildcat ULD RBBT bullets in my factory barreled 7mmWby.

When I do a ladder test I always load 3 extra of the lowest load to get on target with. These 3 lowest went into 3/4” at 100 yards. So far so good and they all cut normal round holes.

Then I moved the target frame to 300 yards and did the ladder test. I honestly expected to see some really funny holes at 300 with these long, heavy bullets being shot in a 1-10" barrel, but at 300 they all stabilized and all went through pointy end first.

I was using WC872 and as expected the nodes were better in the upper range of the test. The big Wildcats were seated .020” off the lands. I only tested up to 103% fill, but the grouping looked a lot better in the upper ranges, so I will probably try bumping it up a little more later.

For now I will take the best looking loads and load up some for test groups. I will also test these at longer ranges before trying hotter loads.

I am curious to see if they will still stabilize and shoot at longer ranges. This is in a 1-10” twist barrel and Richard felt that 1-8” would be better. Sometimes you just have to try things to see if they work. I am not saying they work great yet. I will reserve that until after I see what they do at a little longer range.

I can tell you one thing I noticed as soon as I started shooting them. I had shot some 169.5 Wildcat ULD RBBT rounds just prior to trying the 200 grain rounds and I can tell you that the 200’s really disturb the terrain when they land.

If you’ve got a 7mm and are interested in the big 200 grain Wildcats, give them a try. They just might work. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2005, 01:54 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 200 Grain Wildcat - so far so good

Hey 7-- i have some to shoot out of my 7-270 WSM APS XP-100 handgun. Everything's ready to go for testing except the weather-- it's been HOT here during the middle of the day, so i haven't been able to get to the range yet. Been working graves. and it's 100+ for the last week when i'm up at 2:00. I'm off in the AM for 6 days so it's off to the range with powder, bullets, etc. to see what they'll do in my handgun. Nice to hear about good bullet splash. I need to find out what they'll do at a mile, and Mom will be spotting for me for now, so that helps some.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:02 AM
Gold Member

ss7mm did you chrono them?? Just curious on how fast you getting them in the weatherby mag and wondering what I could get out of my 7. They seem to be doing fine in the 1n10 and I would love to give them a rip in my RUM with the 1n9 twist.
Wanta share some?? Just funning with ya?? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Unless you do! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I may have to order in a box for myself for a 7mm AM thats on my list next from APS.
Keep us posted.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:13 AM
Platinum Member

ss7mm, did the same thing only with some 169 gr prototypes in .277 that Richard sent me. Discussions with Richard and Kirby indicated that they wouldn't stabilize in a 10" twist @ 270 Win velocities.

My question is "What is unstable?" I got nice round holes and very consistent groups, though a little large.

What really impressed me was the velocities I got. This is a rifle that I am 'real" familiar with and had to work up some loads from scratch. Used 4831sc and 7828 and got 2900 FPS out of a Lilja 27" bbl. Accuracy was inches of Muley not inchs of Chuck. But again "what does stable mean?" I really guess I don't know?

Would have been a stroke of luck if I'd have got the barrel w/the 9" twist but that was before Richards bullets existec. Who wooda thunk it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2005, 06:40 AM
Platinum Member

SS7mm

It sounds like you have a standard factory throat with a freebore of 0.375.

Quote "The big Wildcats were seated .020” .

Would you mind measuring (approximately) the bearing length of the bullet?

I assume we are talking about hunting (thick) jacket bullets in the 200 gr.

I have a 1:9.25 twist Shilen barrel with factory freebore that has about 1000 rds down it. It is so worn out from over max loads that it will only stabilize long bearing surface bullets. I am trying to nurse it along for another year or so until Kirby gets done testing and my financial future (childrens' tuition) is more certain.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2005, 07:45 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

ss7mm,

Well, that is a suprise to me but there are often suprises in this old world. Thats why it pays to test something just to see what happens!!!

Only problem now is I have a shop full of work to do but also a bench full of prepped cases for my 7mm (will call it my 7mm to be politically correct as to not offend some) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The reason we decided to go with the fast 1-7 twist barrels is first of all because the computer models recommended this but also because these will be used as big game bullets and rounds so they need to stabilize in every condition, hot, cold, sea level, 14,000 ft, 2800 fps, 3300 fps, everything.

Appearently this is a bit more then we needed but then again reliability is the aspect were after. This is good information though and very interesting.

I will be testing these bullets soon in my 1-9 twist barrel on my 7mm and will hopefully get the same results as you. We will see.

When I was developing loads for my 257 with the 156 gr ULD RBBT I was using a 1-8 Pac Nor barrel as that was the only fast twist 257 barrel I was aware of at the time. With starting loads there was a noticable nose tear on the bullets at 100 yards until velocity reached 2950 fps and then things seemed to round up as far as the bullet holes went.

At 500 yards groups were not that impressive until I got to 3100 fps and then they almost instantly tightened up and continued to do so until I topped out in the high 3300 fps range telling me that while the 1-8 twist will stabilize this bullet at top velocities it is marginal.

I do not feel comfortable with a twist rate that only stabilizes bullets at the top end of the velocity spectrum. That said, I have tested this 257 with these 156 gr ULDs out to 1/2 mile and they hold their stability well out to this range.

Have not tested them at range in cold weather though.

This is the reason I chose the 1-7 for the 257 as well as the 7mm.

Still, this is very interesting results!!!

See, if you would have asked Richard or myself if this would work we would have said probably not but just proves you need to get some and try them for yourself. Nothing substitutes for good ol fashion range testing.

I think I will load some up early this morning, go put in a full day in the shop and then either test them tonight or early inthe morning when its cool.

Great report, keep us posted!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 07-21-2005, 07:50 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Roy,

I still would not recommend the 169.5 gr ULD RBBTs for a 270 Win velocitys in a standard twist barrel.

That said, I have to say that because sure enough I recommend them and someone get a barrel with a slightly slower twist and they key hole on them on target and I get the raw end of the deal.

I have no problem being proved wrong, actually does not bother me a bit. You will find that Richard and myself are generally quite conservative in out recommendation simply because we want things to work for you with 100% reliability.

That is not to say we do not fully endorse testing our recommendations as both ss7mm and yourself have proven that logic as far as rifle twist is not always easy to predict what bullets will and will not work.

Testing in your rifle in your conditions are far more valuable then anything Richard or myself could tell you in type or words.

Glad they are working for you and let us know how they perform if you use them on game!!

Later,

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com