Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

200 gr Match Kings,...Good for Elk at long ranges?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-21-2007, 09:28 PM
Bronze Member
Re: 200 gr Match Kings,...Good for Elk at long ranges?????

Thanks for the info guys. You helped put my mind at ease. I will try them on some deer around home this coming year and see how they do since I wont be traveling because I'm gonna be a DADDY!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
James (reloading apprentice)

Unread 02-22-2007, 02:02 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the load info.
Unread 02-22-2007, 11:06 AM
Platinum Member

Dakor- I just worry about hitting my elk square through the shoulders and losing him. Sometimes I only get 1 chance at elk and I want that SOB going down!! I dont want him hanging a leg running off into the deepest, darkest, hole he can find. Have you ever tried doing any weight retentino tests with Bergers out of curiousity??? I"ll try to find a couple of the 210's I shot into paper at 100-200 yards. They didn't look pretty and weight retnetion was no more then 30%. I cant see where that would be any good for hitting elk shoulders. JMO based on what I've seen with my own expansion and weight retention tests. I know newspaper aint elk, but it does give an idea of what to expect from your bullet. This coming year I think I"ll give them a shot in my 7 RM. I"ll use the 168g and hope to get a shot anyways.
Unread 02-22-2007, 01:27 PM
Gold Member

I guess I do not worry about weight retention. You could always bust the offside shoulder instead. You are asking my opinion so I will give it you give me a bull elk at 25 yards I would not think twice about shooting him in the shoulder with the SMK or Berger. High shoulder shot it is lights out. I have done tests with wood, steel, and paper and found retention about 50% or less but I do not care what the bullet weighs as long as it make it into the vitals. But I never have liked hard bullets either. If you want to waste a few dollars go to the butcher store and ask for the biggest pork shoulder they have with the bone in it. Set it up at 50 yards with a water jug behind it and see what happens. If it makes it through all that fat and bone you have a winner. The last pork shoulder I got the bone was about 7/8" thick now that is some bone. Here is a link to a bullet I found in a doe under the hide you can read the details this is the only Berger I found in anything I shot this year.
Fast, Flat, and Accurate
Unread 02-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Silver Member
hillajam, not sure how this relates........

I have shot two bull elk with a 140g nosler(old style) ballistic tips out of a 7 Mag at 200-150 yards with dead right there effect. I would expect that your bullet would smash them right there and if you were comfortable with the 180g Spt BT, I know for a fact that it would stop their running lights.