Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

1st production APS Raptor receiver is here!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2007, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

That is a very nice looking action. Congratulations.

Quote:
I want production Raptors to have rails that extend clear to the end of the receiver just behind the recoil lug. This is so that we have more visitility in scope mounting location as well as offering more rail space for rail accessaries if wanted.
Just a thought and a comment on a problem I have encountered before particularly with Ruger #1s. The location of the rail and slots is determined by the stock and the shooters eye. Eye relief is fairly constant from scope to scope. Your customers who can actually afford these things are getting older and need 50 to 56 mm scopes. This can cause a problem of contact of the objective bell with the rail if it extends too far forward. This then causes the need for higher rings which dominos into needing an adjustable cheek peice.

I certainly agree that as far as looks go, that the rail should go to the front of the action, but right now I am having the reverse done to a gun. I am having a rail custom made from bar steel and cantilevered back toward my eye so I do not have to crawl up the stock to get the right eye relief, and with a short front section I will not have to worry about the objective bell clearance of the rail.

All of that said, if I was the expert I would not have you and others build my guns for me. But it is something to check. Maybe have a short rail and a long rail option. Or, I am sure you have a hacksaw to cut one off shorter.

Finally, you should remember some of us are not really sane but are on work release programs from the asylum and we will be needing a gas relief hole in the receiver when we put too much powder in the case.

Last edited by Buffalobob; 11-19-2007 at 09:08 PM. Reason: more comments
Old 11-19-2007, 09:49 PM
SPONSOR

definantly a work of art, so what you gonna chamber her in for the first test run?? Im thinkin maybe you should set her up in some round that you will bring down for the spring hunt so some other boys might getta play with her

congrats big guy
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 11-19-2007, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

And the big question.......How much coin?
And the second biggest question.......When are they ready to ship?

Mechanically speaking, your action makes sense and looks great to boot.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:21 PM
Platinum Member

Is the rail intergal with the action?
Old 11-19-2007, 10:35 PM
Silver Member

Thanks alot Kirby,

I just wet myself. Kidding aside, that's a fine looking piece of work. I know you kept warning us of it's arrival but I really didn't expect to see it this soon.

Congratulations!!

Festus
Old 11-20-2007, 10:04 AM
Silver Member

Darn, just paid off my last APS project and now you come up with this! Guess I do have a ABS barrel ordered, we might have to create another AM in 338. Nice looking reciever, great job.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:12 AM
SPONSOR

Great looking receiver. What does it weigh???