1. Stockys Bobby Hart LR stock does not need $200 bedding. Maybe skim bedding which should be less than $100.. Is it available for a reliable action that will fit a 378? Do not think so, but not sure.
If I went with the Stiller TAC action, I believe it has a Remington 700 footprint doesn't it? Which would then work in this stock.
2. Jewell trigger from Larry Scott is $240 shipped or little less. Rifle basix is under $150.
I know lots of people rave about Jewel triggers. What makes them so much better than some of the other brands? Rifle basic, timney etc.
3. Wyatts mag box is $300 retail. Depends on caliber. The question is why go to the expense of a magazine box gun for hunting. go standard bottom metal with maybe extended Wyatts mag box and save $150-200.
That is a good point, I don't need the magazine, I just wanted the extra length for longer COAL. If I can do that with just the extended mag box that'd be great.
4. Forget screwing with a trued 700. Total waste of money to spend $800-900 on an action that is worth $450 tops when you pick it up. Plus it will not be as smooth or reliable as a custom. Go straight to the Defiance, Stiller TAC 30/338 or the Tooley Orion. The Tooley has can be ordered with pinned recoil lug for $25 so total would be $925 and comes with either Sako or M16 extractor of your choice.
I started out planning the 700 route but the more I've thought about it the more I lean towards the custom action especially since it will be nearly the same money
5. Muzzle brake_ Holland Radial $125 plus $100 installation.
6. Barrel- Brux, Bartlein, Krieger, Hart or Broughton. Could not go wrong with any of those.
7. Caliber- Brass is the cheapest component so do not let that be the decision maker. What caliber first is the question?
30 or 338?
Right action, standard 338 Lapua or even better for standard 700 footprint is 338 Norma Magnum. Then the 338 Rum IMO
30 Caliber- I would pick the WSM over 300 Win. 2-3x barrel life and same ballistics with bullets up to 210 grain.
If all you are concerned about is "fireforming" then consider a necked down 30-338 Lapua/ 30-338 Norma or the 300 RUM with the new 230 bergers or 225 Hornadys. Simple neck down, load and fire. No fireforming if you keep original case dimensions.
Finally, once you decide order your own reamer from Dave Kiff at PTG!
Here is the Tooley Orion action and Bobby Hart stock.
6.5x47 Tactical on Tooley Orian