Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

168 Berger classic hunter on 100yd deer??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member

168 Berger classic hunter on 100yd deer??

I have a browning BLR in 7-08 that has never shot worth a crap (3-4" @ 100). I use it for Michigan whitetails in the timber, never shooting past 150 (and usually well under). I usually just shoot throw-together loads with 139gr Hornady SPs. They seem to get the job done.

I have a box of Berger 168 classic hunters that I don't really have an application for. For giggles, I looked up the twist on the BLR. 9.5:1. Hmmmm....

So, today I loaded up 10 rounds using the 168's. I didn't chrony them, but with my itty bitty 20" barrel and the load I'm using I would guess high 2400's. I proceeded to shoot two honest 1" 3-shot groups from prone with my semi-stable rear field bag. I have 4 rounds left to fill the mag.

While it is semi-hilarious to me that this bullet decided to make my scattergun BLR shoot respectably, there is no real advantage to it because I'll never stretch it past 150 on game (I have another rifle that tags along for use in the wide-open). Best I can tell, at 100 yds my retained velocity should be about the same as a 7RM with the same bullet at 400 yds (2350ish).

I am guessing this combo will be punishing on whitetails at short range, and on thin skinned game I have little risk of under-penetration even at point-blank range.

What says you?
Old 11-14-2013, 01:26 PM
Gold Member

Re: 168 Berger classic hunter on 100yd deer??

They should work just fine. I got a deer last week shooting .224 90gr. Vld. Deer was at 86 yards facing me. Put one in the chest and he didnt even move. There literally was no heart or lungs...just mush.
Savage Target Action 6mm-284
Savage Target Action 6.5x47 Lapua
Savage Predator Hunter Max1 6.5-284 Norma
"Gotta Kill It Before You Can Grill It"
Old 11-14-2013, 04:23 PM
Banned

The bullet should work OK, but will probably have some splat effect at that close range.

If you really want to make a shooter out of that BLR, take off that retarded barrel band and free float the fore end.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:03 AM
Platinum Member

Don't think there will be a splat factor as another poster suggested especially at the velocities you are using.

My friend used the same bullet on a cow elk hunt last year shot from his 7 rem mag. The impact velocity was just under 3000 fps. All I know about the shot is that it was behind the shoulder with a bit of angle. He killed the elk with that one shot. His remark on its performance was that it was the fastest death of any elk he had ever shot.

Now go shoot a few deer and report back on the performance with pictures if possible.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZShooter View Post
Now go shoot a few deer and report back on the performance with pictures if possible.
Now you're talkin'. If I drop one with that rifle, I will post pictures here for sure. I'll even lay the BLR right on top, sexy barrel band and all!
Old 11-15-2013, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

Tonight I was presented with the fabled "Texas Heart Shot" at about 70 yards. I took a pass .

I'll either get it done tomorrow or the week of Thanksgiving, I'll post if and when I do....
Old 11-23-2013, 11:34 AM
Platinum Member

This morning I was presented with a 110yd shot on a medium sized doe. Trigger break felt good, and the deer bucked at the shot. Then something weird happened. There were four deer together, and they all took off to the east (highly motivated). Two stopped abruptly and peeled back west (toward me) and the other two held-up, slowed the pace but continued east. When the two peeled back, I lost which one I had hit. Soon they were all out of sight. Hard to explain how this went, but it was almost like they intentionally gave me the 3-card monte.

I started to feel a little doubt creep in on what originally felt like a gimme shot. I waited about 30 and went to check the scene.

I immediately found blood in the tall grass where I had shot. The blood was high, and there was a fair amount of it. Moving east I found some more blood, but it was sporadic. Because the first blood looked good, I decided to walk out 100yds east to see if she was piled up before I resorted to a full-on track. I found her just into a bean field about 110yds from where I hit her. I took a picture where she lay, with a caliber-size hole on the entry-side (just behind shoulder) and a bunch of blood underneath....
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
168 Berger classic hunter on 100yd deer??-image.jpg