Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

160gr Matrix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 160gr Matrix

Im not to familiar with floor dry, but IIRC Roy uses Canadian peat moss, his one word of caution to me was to use a stick to mix it as the ants love the stuff LOL. I cant wait to see what else comes from this thread.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 04-14-2013, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member

Good job Cliff! That is good expansion at that velocity. It would be interesting to see what they will do at lower velocity. Say <1800 hint, hint.......Rich
Old 04-14-2013, 08:43 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
Good job Cliff! That is good expansion at that velocity. It would be interesting to see what they will do at lower velocity. Say <1800 hint, hint.......Rich
...or at very-close range*

General consensus on the "like bullets" from other "popular manufacturers" is for longer-range hunting.. would be very interesting if these would differ any. I for one would be curious to see what those impact tests would look like at 50yards or so... just for curiosity sake (say in the event of a bear-charge maybe) Would they explode upon impact, punch a pin-hole, or enter & expand ???

Makes you wonder... anyone willing to give that a whirl?
Old 04-14-2013, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster721 View Post

General consensus on the "like bullets" from other "popular manufacturers" is for longer-range hunting.. would be very interesting if these would differ any. I for one would be curious to see what those impact tests would look like at 50yards or so... just for curiosity sake (say in the event of a bear-charge maybe) Would they explode upon impact, punch a pin-hole, or enter & expand ???

I volunteer if no one else does. While i am doing the reduced velocity i can do a high velocity, someone could probably do it before me though, as we just got about 18" of snow today. might be a while before i can make it to the range.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 04-14-2013, 09:05 PM
Silver Member

This could be a real shot in the dark.. but have any of you's tried them in 1:9 barrels?

...My 264win is only a 1:9 and handles the 140 Berger fine (which is also 1:8 recommended!!) Have shot so far as 840 at steel, but no issues to that distance with 'em* I can't say "they" are in-stable or tumbling

Can someone comment on this by chance ?? With so-much longer bearing surface on that 160, maybe it would-be a stretch to shoot 'em through a 1:9 ??? I don't know.

??
Old 04-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

We'll saddle someone with shooting an elk at very close range to test just that, we've killed quit a few bulls with the 270 165 Matrix in the 50-100 yards range and they grab dirt rather abruptly, bullets don't exit but they don't blow early either. Massive amounts of sectional density just won't be denied!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 04-14-2013, 09:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
This could be a real shot in the dark.. but have any of you's tried them in 1:9 barrels?

...My 264win is only a 1:9 and handles the 140 Berger fine (which is also 1:8 recommended!!) Have shot so far as 840 at steel, but no issues to that distance with 'em* I can't say "they" are in-stable or tumbling

Can someone comment on this by chance ?? With so-much longer bearing surface on that 160, maybe it would-be a stretch to shoot 'em through a 1:9 ??? I don't know.

??
You might get away with it at altitude, but not sure? The bearing surface isn't quite as long as you would think. The boat tail is extended a little.....Rich