Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

160gr Matrix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 160gr Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
My dad did the annealing but I think he just hit the tip with a torch, he did say that it will shoot lead from the tip if you get into lead, I'm sure he'll weigh in with his actual hi tech procedure

Rich, I don't think an elk will ignore taking one of those 160 Matrix at the water line
Should do the trick! Another tidbit I've gleaned from all this testing is this: The Matrix, like the Bergers, seem to break (blow) off the tips when you have enough velocity. When velocity is just short of doing that, they create a banana bullet and tumble. When its just enough, they tear off a large portion of the jacket and you have chunks of lead and jacket. If the velocity is high, they simply penetrate a ways and explode! In other words, they kind of have either an on or off effect. you will notice that the annealed one that I fired today, has more of a typical mushroom look. This keeps the bullet moving straight forward and increased the penetration over yesterdays test even though the retained weight was only 55 grains. I'm sure there was plenty of shrapnel flying around along the way with the other 105 grains! My observations.
Concerning the process. I would be VERY careful to keep the bullet tip pointing upward and not slosh any melted lead around. If this happens, accuracy willl likely go right out the window. I'm going to grip my cordless upright in my vise and chuck the bullet gently with the speed on low. I will then anneal approx. 1/4" of the tip and let it set a few seconds before moving to let the lead harden in case it has melted (which is likely) ........Rich
p.s. I don't think you have to actually get into the lead to melt it. The temp needed to anneal the copper will melt the lead!
Old 09-20-2013, 09:09 AM
Platinum Member

Do you gents just run on exposure time for annealing? Chuck in drill, add heat & count to 10 or?

I think chucking your drill in a vice would be pretty easy. I'd imagine a vertical drill press would work pretty well too.

On a side note, I have plans to shoot some more 160's from the WSM. It will be a continuation of my previous velocity threshold tests extending from my previous work that topped out at ~3100. We'll see where she pressures out!

t

Old 09-20-2013, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member

What temp are you targeting? I have 27 160 matrix bullets left I want to play with.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:36 AM
Platinum Member

A little off topic, but I'm wondering what affect annealing would have on the CEB's?

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-20-2013, 09:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
A little off topic, but I'm wondering what affect annealing would have on the CEB's?

I'm not sure if it's necessary or not. I can't imagine it would hurt, at least on the long range side. I do wonder what the close range ballistics would be like though. The base will penetrate regardless, but i'd be curious to see how the nose section held up as there no lead to resist deformation.

t

Old 09-20-2013, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
I'm not sure if it's necessary or not. I can't imagine it would hurt, at least on the long range side. I do wonder what the close range ballistics would be like though. The base will penetrate regardless, but i'd be curious to see how the nose section held up as there no lead to resist deformation.

t
If the 140's opened up to 1800 fps, that would be good enough for me. Being a relatively small bullet, there wouldn't be a lot of benefit in it opening much lower than that IMO. But if they're having trouble opening below 2000 fps or whatever, maybe some annealing would help. If the 160 Matrix are showing expansion issues, ya gotta wonder about a mono? That said, the CEB's are softer than the guilding jackets.

I don't have a problem with the CEB's, or any bullet, loosing their nose at higher velocities.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-20-2013, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post

I don't have a problem with the CEB's, or any bullet, loosing their nose at higher velocities.

It depends on WHERE they lose their nose... I understand where you're coming from for sure. The CEB's are new enough to me that I honestly can't say where the terminal threshold is.

t