Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

160gr Matrix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 12:21 AM
Gold Member

Re: 160gr Matrix

I appreciate the updated info on bullet performance. I recently bought three hundred of the 160's and plan on using MCR's meplat trimmer on them to help initiate expansion a little better.

Elkoholic:

Perhaps I could send a few of these bullets your way to see if they perform any differently?
Old 09-19-2013, 01:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsugarbear View Post
I appreciate the updated info on bullet performance. I recently bought three hundred of the 160's and plan on using MCR's meplat trimmer on them to help initiate expansion a little better.

Elkoholic:

Perhaps I could send a few of these bullets your way to see if they perform any differently?
We tipped some bullets and saw very little difference at a 1000 yards in water with them, the biggest difference came from annealing.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 09-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffM View Post
Rich,
That is a bit lower impact velocity than I have tried.
I shot some annealed ones that had 18" of penetration as compared to 24" without at 1900fps with the bullet shedding a bit of the jacket , the rear half weighing 80gr.
Cliff
Hi Cliff......I was actually a little surprised ! My plan was to start low and work my way up to see when they expanded. As it turned out, the first shot expanded at 1811' so I went down. Again, this was only 2 rounds but I did the same test with the same barrel with the ABLR's, 215 hybrids, and SXR's just a few days ago so I feel fairly confident that it wasn't an accident. It does make sense that they "should" expand a little easier than a .308" berger as they are the same jacket which has been drawn.....Rich
Old 09-19-2013, 09:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsugarbear View Post

Elkoholic:

I plan on trying a couple of other tests when I get time which could include meplat work and annealing as well as retesting some untouched ones.....Rich
Old 09-19-2013, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
We tipped some bullets and saw very little difference at a 1000 yards in water with them, the biggest difference came from annealing.

BNG, how are you annealing your VLD's? Pan of water & torch or have you found a quicker route?

t

Old 09-19-2013, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

I fired one round (annealed) today at the same load and media as yesterdays 1672' load. It clocked at 1704' today but look at the drastic difference in expansion! It penetrated both sides of the plastic water barrel, 16" H20 in between, four layers of berber carpet. and a fairly heavy door mat (don't tell my wife).......Rich160gr Matrix-dscf0808.jpg
Old 09-19-2013, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

My dad did the annealing but I think he just hit the tip with a torch, he did say that it will shoot lead from the tip if you get into lead, I'm sure he'll weigh in with his actual hi tech procedure

Rich, I don't think an elk will ignore taking one of those 160 Matrix at the water line

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"