Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

160gr Matrix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Silver Member

Re: 160gr Matrix

Rich,
Measuring the jacket thickness as best I could it is roughly .010-.012" thicker at the tip than it is down where it ruptures.
I like the idea of those serrations, these bullets are much tougher than I was expecting them to be.
If I could get a wound channel like that bear at longer distance I would be quite happy.
Cliff
Old 06-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

I think the serrations may just get it done, it really looks like if the nose will start to open then it will unleash utter carnage from there back! The hits and damage are abundantly clear even with the bullet not opening nose first, the second jug is ruptured from top to bottom and top blows of so it would ruin somethings will to live even as is I think.
I kind of wonder though if these will react like the 215 Berger did where the nose was blowing of in water but in game it's like they swallowed a grenade?

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 06-09-2013, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

Hopefully we will see soon. I spoke with Marshal last week and he didn't have the jackets yet as customs take their sweet time. I think he will turn them around pretty quick when he gets them though. I don't don't have an SS yet to shoot any anyway!
Old 06-09-2013, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffM View Post
Rich,
Measuring the jacket thickness as best I could it is roughly .010-.012" thicker at the tip than it is down where it ruptures.
I like the idea of those serrations, these bullets are much tougher than I was expecting them to be.
If I could get a wound channel like that bear at longer distance I would be quite happy.
Cliff
It is thicker at the tip than at the lead junction??......Rich
Old 06-09-2013, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=elkaholic;816270I don't don't have an SS yet to shoot any anyway![/QUOTE]

Ouch!!!!

Old 06-09-2013, 11:22 PM
Bronze Member

The jackets fold in on themselves increasing thickness in the tip/ogive it's an accordion effect that occurs in all jacketed bullets, that's where lube lines come from.
You guys may want to try annealing the tips, it appears to work very well, and would be a more cost effective way of getting the desired results.
The serrated jackets still haven't shown up but once they do I'll whip up a batch & send em back for your pleasures
Berger VLD annealing tutorial

Marshal
Old 06-09-2013, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshal View Post
The jackets fold in on themselves increasing thickness in the tip/ogive it's an accordion effect that occurs in all jacketed bullets, that's where lube lines come from.
You guys may want to try annealing the tips, it appears to work very well, and would be a more cost effective way of getting the desired results.
The serrated jackets still haven't shown up but once they do I'll whip up a batch & send em back for your pleasures
Berger VLD annealing tutorial

Marshal
I bet someone does not sleep tonight thinking about annealing bullets!!! Guess I better get some more jugs