Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

160gr Matrix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 160gr Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
I was talking with Lefty7mmstw, he knows alot about testing new or different powders that dont have load data for them, he also has been doing some testing with rl33 and him and i agreed that i would probably hit pressure around 56-58 grains, i checked to see how much rl33 i could stuff in the case without having the bullet move out on me (i waited 24 hours) and i could fit about 62 grains in there. I think i may give it a try and if i dont get anymore velocity then i will stick with the retumbo load and move on to longer ranges.
Give it a try. Sometimes things work when they shouldn't! It will be an interesting test........rich
Old 05-04-2013, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Rich, are you sure about that .3 factor? Sounds like an awful lot to me. A curved path will be longer than a straight path, but a curved path of 40" over a 1000 yds would only be a couple of inches longer than a straight path. I haven't noticed any difference of drop with 5 MOA of drift @ 1000 yds.

I have always been a little suspect of the .7 BC considering their length. I'm guessing .65ish.
No, I'm not absolutely sure, but that is what seems to work for a lot of people. It depends on the individual rifle, bullet, twist combo, but I've always shot low with left to right and high with right to left. That's with right hand twist, of course, which we all have....Rich
Old 05-04-2013, 08:18 PM
Bronze Member

I got out yesterday and again this morning. Yesterday the wind was pretty gusty and took some shots trying to figure it out. I ran out of Retumbo so I found an accurate load of h1000 that runs at 2875 in my 6.5-06AI. I did some figuring when I got home and came up with a bc of .680. When I went back out this morning using these numbers and very little wind I was able to make three first round hits on 10" to 18" rocks at 775, 1010, and 1050. I ended up shooting a 3 shot group on the 1010 rock that went sub moa.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member

I have the targets in hand now and a tape measure and the 52.5 grain load measures about .361" CTC.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 05-04-2013, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

Rich, no sir I did not. Actually you just taught me something I had not heard of and will have to add this to my huge bag of stuff to learn. Geesh.
It does make since why my 1500 yard shots in L to R are low. Also the 677 yard shot were really very good. I need a user manual for dummies I guess. If you feel like it explain why the drop and rise please.
Also in the picture with the impacts in the divet there are 4 total. 3 in the dark section and 1 out. Those 3 are about 4 inches apart max. The out 1 is actually only about 5 inches from the center. I have to stop shooting rocks I can not reach. Idiot. Lol.

I think you guys with hot rod 6.5s getting close to 3 might see those higher bc's. they do seem to shoot though.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
Rich, no sir I did not. Actually you just taught me something I had not heard of and will have to add this to my huge bag of stuff to learn. Geesh.
It does make since why my 1500 yard shots in L to R are low. Also the 677 yard shot were really very good. I need a user manual for dummies I guess. If you feel like it explain why the drop and rise please.
Also in the picture with the impacts in the divet there are 4 total. 3 in the dark section and 1 out. Those 3 are about 4 inches apart max. The out 1 is actually only about 5 inches from the center. I have to stop shooting rocks I can not reach. Idiot. Lol.

I think you guys with hot rod 6.5s getting close to 3 might see those higher bc's. they do seem to shoot though.
No, you are no dummie! The first time I heard of that was several years ago when I was talking to an ex fighter pilot who used the bomber sight. He also was the designer of the reticle on the Swarovski scopes (TDS) His name was T.D. Smith, thus the TDS reticle. The last time I spoke with him, he wasn't doing well. He may be gone now? Anyway, The rotation of a bullet with right hand twist tends to drop more when the wind is on the side of the "up" rotation, which would be the left side. Converesly, a right to left wind pushes on the down rotation "right" side and tends to lift more. The twist rate, and some other ballistic factors, affect how much this occurs............Rich
Try shooting with a well dialed in load someday at 1000 yards in zero wind and then try the same load with say a 10 mph crosswind and see what happens. Very revealing!
Old 05-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunwalker View Post
I got out yesterday and again this morning. Yesterday the wind was pretty gusty and took some shots trying to figure it out. I ran out of Retumbo so I found an accurate load of h1000 that runs at 2875 in my 6.5-06AI. I did some figuring when I got home and came up with a bc of .680. When I went back out this morning using these numbers and very little wind I was able to make three first round hits on 10" to 18" rocks at 775, 1010, and 1050. I ended up shooting a 3 shot group on the 1010 rock that went sub moa.
That is very close to what I have seen. At 3050fps- .72bc works to 1450yds. With a lighter load that should be about 2900fps the drops worked out to .695-.70 @ 1030yds.
My testing so far has been done from one shooting range in one direction and always in some wind (5-20mph). I don't know to what extent that has on the bc numbers I arrive at, but I am glad to see the results that others are getting. We have another place to shoot that offers different terrain and shooting direction. I may have to give it a go and see what happens.
Cliff