Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

16" barreled rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2013, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 16" barreled rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramarine6 View Post
I have a 16 inch 308. It's a great woods gun. Accuracy is amazing being that its such a short, stiff barrel. But the trade off is velocity. With a max charge of varget or 4064 and 165 grain gameking I'm only getting 2475 fps out of it. I bought it for a purpose though. And that was deer hunting in the thick woods of Northern Wisconsin. Works great for that purpose.
You should try the Alliant power pro 2000. If you find a load on the upper end, I bet you'll get over 2500 if that is something you desire.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-18-2013, 10:46 PM
Silver Member

Re: 16" barreled rifle

I just finished building a shorty in 6x47 Lapua, 19" barrel. Need to shoot it yet, but it handles like a dream and it will make a dandy walk-about coyote rifle.