Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

140 A-MAX fails in flight to target @ 2950 fps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2014, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 140 A-MAX fails in flight to target @ 2950 fps

Michael.....I have shot a bunch of 140's through my 3 groove/8 twist lilja over the years in my 6.5 Sherman at 3150'. Most of these at 2500' elevation with temps as high as 90+ degrees. I have never yet had a failure and a 3 groover is no doubt harder on bullets. I have around 1800 rounds through this barrel and it is getting rough in the first few inches of bore. I would lean toward the lot of bullets or something in your particular rifle? I have fired a few at 3200' with no problems. It seems unlikely to me that the "normal run" of 140 amax is the problem......Rich
Old 08-22-2014, 04:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
Michael.....I have shot a bunch of 140's through my 3 groove/8 twist lilja over the years in my 6.5 Sherman at 3150'. Most of these at 2500' elevation with temps as high as 90+ degrees. I have never yet had a failure and a 3 groover is no doubt harder on bullets. I have around 1800 rounds through this barrel and it is getting rough in the first few inches of bore. I would lean toward the lot of bullets or something in your particular rifle? I have fired a few at 3200' with no problems. It seems unlikely to me that the "normal run" of 140 amax is the problem......Rich
It's hard to pin a definitive cause on phenomena that only occur in a minority of rifles.

It will be telling if Hornady asks for the lot number or if I have any bullets left to send.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

Yes it will.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:28 PM
Silver Member

Berger went to increasing the thickness on their match bullets because of in-flight failure during match conditions, where long strings caused intense barrel heat. The hot barrel would transfer enough heat to the lead core to cause it to melt, and the jacket can't contain the liquid (with no structural integrity of it's own). Since the bullet failures occurred in the hottest part of the match, towards the end of a string, this may be the cause.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfur View Post
Berger went to increasing the thickness on their match bullets because of in-flight failure during match conditions, where long strings caused intense barrel heat. The hot barrel would transfer enough heat to the lead core to cause it to melt, and the jacket can't contain the liquid (with no structural integrity of it's own). Since the bullet failures occurred in the hottest part of the match, towards the end of a string, this may be the cause.
Given that it is the only theory with such compelling supporting data (though in a different bullet design), I'd have to say this idea is a leading contender at this point.

However, this theory says very little about why we never saw the problem shooting hundreds of bullets and numerous matches in Colorado. Yes, it was usually 15 degrees or more cooler in Colorado, but is that difference in ambient temperature really enough? Maybe, but gotta keep an open mind about other causes.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:41 PM
Silver Member

I can't say, just throwing that out there. But 15 degrees may be the difference between solid, and partially melted lead.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfur View Post
I think this is PARTIALLY true. The heating of the barrel would cause more friction which would increase the temp of the bullet traveling down the bore but if the barrel was so hot as to melt the core in the chamber, you would have far worse problems than just bullet failure (IMO) ......rich