Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

140 A-MAX fails in flight to target @ 2950 fps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2014, 07:43 PM
Gold Member

Re: 140 A-MAX fails in flight to target @ 2950 fps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Courtney View Post
Could be. But most people forget that air drag and resulting heating of the tip is proportional to the air density. Elevations with elk and antelope have much lower air density than south Louisiana which is very close to sea level. The aerodynamic forces on the bullet at 2950 at sea level can be greater than at 3230 at 5000 ft. Twist rate and tip off angle come into play also, since failure occurs before much damping of the pitch and yaw.

This same lot of bullets never created a problem for us on the great plains or mountains at temps in the 80s, but started to cause trouble in Louisiana at temps in the 90s.

There's no doubt that these bullets work fine in a lot of different barrels, or Hornady would be so flooded with complaints they would have fixed the problem. Figuring out why these bullets fail in conditions where failure is common is the more challenging task.

Most of my hot shooting is done around 2600' elevation. Shooting elk and other animals is usually much cooler and higher elevation.

My barrel is a 8 twist Bartlein 5R Sendero contour. A lot of times I run 3-5 rounds in under a minute through my gun when I'm shooting long distance. I know F-class involves more rounds but my barrel will get pretty hot fast too.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Courtney View Post
6 groove. The humidity was high, but this barrel doesn't foul much. Only 700 rounds down the tube so the throat is still in pretty good shape. H1000 is a pretty clean powder. This is one of the smoother bores we've owned. Very quick clean up compared with most other barrels.
Did you bore scope it?

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 08-22-2014, 01:24 AM
Platinum Member

I've gone that fast at sea level 60% plus humidity, 70 degrees. Barrel temps at 140 degrees (temperature stickers).

Bad batch?
Sharp lands?
Muzzle burr?
Old 08-22-2014, 09:24 AM
Platinum Member

My thinking is bad lot of bullets.
There is no way to expect an integrity issue at such a lethargic speed, pushed gently with H1000, and normal twist.
I wonder if a Juenke ICC would identify it..
Old 08-22-2014, 10:07 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
My thinking is bad lot of bullets.
There is no way to expect an integrity issue at such a lethargic speed, pushed gently with H1000, and normal twist.
I wonder if a Juenke ICC would identify it..
Bullet failure from a match barrel in good shape is an integrity issue, since the bullet was used within the design parameters.

The only question is whether the integrity issue was a failure of this lot to meet the design or an inherent flaw in the design.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:28 AM
Platinum Member

If you have any left from that lot send em to Hornaday with a description. Don't complain just describe.

They will do the right thing.

IMHO: If you take an attitude of trying to help the will be very very nice but if you complain or focus on how you were wronged or harmed the will treat you like you are trying to harm them or retaliate.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:41 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfseaman View Post
If you have any left from that lot send em to Hornaday with a description. Don't complain just describe.

They will do the right thing.

IMHO: If you take an attitude of trying to help the will be very very nice but if you complain or focus on how you were wronged or harmed the will treat you like you are trying to harm them or retaliate.
The matter has been forwarded to Hornady Engineering in a professional and friendly manner. We intend to cooperate with any ensuing requests for additional information or materials, but there have not been any yet.