Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

111 Long Range Hunter in 300 Win Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 11:29 PM

Re: 111 Long Range Hunter in 300 Win Mag

Yeah. Said that they had seen a couple of problems with the crown not being machined right to accomodate that muzzle break that they put on it. Not his exact words, but the jist of it.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:59 PM
Bronze Member

Your model 111 is a custom rifle and just might not like factory ammo. I own the same gun and it shot the same way as yours until I broke the barrel in, and then I devolped the load which my barrel likes.

If you want to shoot factory ammo, sell the gun. If you want a 1000 yard rifle, keep it and work up a nice load .

Try this: 178-g Hornaday a-max
Fedral 215-m primer
73.5 grains re-loader 22 and set your coal @ 3440

Very Important, Savage's ACCUSTOCK is made of fiberglass & aluminum and the mounting bolts MUST BE TORQUED to 40" inch lbs.

This rifle likes a longer bullet seating. Shoot that at the range and repost here to see how it worked for you.

Thx Dana
Phx, AZ
1000-yard shooter
Old 02-23-2012, 09:51 PM
Bronze Member

I'm gonna throw my stupid 2 cents worth in and ask if somebody else has shot this rifle or just him?
Old 02-23-2012, 10:26 PM
Gold Member

It looks like I'm not the only one who gets lemons from Savage, I would say from my last two purchases that's typical accuracy I got. 338 WinMag take a look at the groups I was getting with Savage model 12 LRP any resemblance what you are getting? Savage Target Crown

there was a problem with a barrel which required replacement which never took place and they send me different rifle with different caliber with even more issues... At that point I had enough so I fixed everything myself, should of gone build myself road to begin with...

338 WinMag who are you dealing with, I'm talking about Savage customer service?
Old 02-24-2012, 07:26 AM
Platinum Member

I'm on my third Savage in the last few years, including a LRH in 6.5x284. They all shoot .5MOA or better, but there are things that need adddressing before the would do that. All three came out of the box with the bedding screws not torqued down tight enough, they unscrew way too easily. Secondly, two including the LRH had the stock ant the fre end tip contacting the barrel. This should be sanded to free float the barrel. The other thing to watch is the foreword scope base receiver screw holes. It can be too shallow for standard base screws. I had to remove about .020" off the screw. This may not be perceptible and result in a loose mount. The LRH I have does not have the "wedge" on the accustock, just the aluminum v-block. It is very important that all the Savages have the bedding screws torqued to 40#, no more, no less. I also check head space and distance to the lands and would say that they do throat long enough for use with the longer VLD style bullets. All three of my rifles headspace was .001" longer then Lapua new brass, very good. It shouldn't be the case, but I feel I must thoroughly check all factory rifles out, and they all need fine tuning, including Remingtons, Winchesters etc. An 8" group at 200 yards means something is really off. I would go to the scope/mounting system first. With all due respect to pro gunsmiths, if I don't do it myself, I don't trust it. I have learned the
hard way. If I did all this, tested a few proven loads and it still wouln't group, keep calling Savage and go up the management chain until they take it back and fix it.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 02-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member

Some years ago I was testing some .308 Win. loads in a match rifle to get a starting zero at 100 yards. A Unertl 20x target scope was on it and the whole rifle and with its heavy barrel and target stock, it drew lots of attention. So I asked folks if they would like to try it. Several said yes. Half a dozen or so sat down and fired a 5-shot group at 100 yards. Those groups varied from about 1 inch to 2 inches. My own groups were about 1.3 inch or a little bigger. From a proper machine rest, it would shoot all day long well inside 1/3 inch.

Everyone does not shoot a given rifle with equal accuracy; they don't hold them the same way for each shot. And nobody I know can shoot a high power rifle held against their shoulder as repeatable as one in a machine rest; from a bench or in any other shooting position. Which is why benchresters shoot their one-holers in free recoil; untouched by humans except for a light finger touch on their 1 to 2 ounce triggers.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
Some years ago I was testing some .308 Win. loads in a match rifle to get a starting zero at 100 yards. A Unertl 20x target scope was on it and the whole rifle and with its heavy barrel and target stock, it drew lots of attention. So I asked folks if they would like to try it. Several said yes. Half a dozen or so sat down and fired a 5-shot group at 100 yards. Those groups varied from about 1 inch to 2 inches. My own groups were about 1.3 inch or a little bigger. From a proper machine rest, it would shoot all day long well inside 1/3 inch.

Everyone does not shoot a given rifle with equal accuracy; they don't hold them the same way for each shot. And nobody I know can shoot a high power rifle held against their shoulder as repeatable as one in a machine rest; from a bench or in any other shooting position. Which is why benchresters shoot their one-holers in free recoil; untouched by humans except for a light finger touch on their 1 to 2 ounce triggers.
I think your point is a good one. The shooter is probably the biggest variable in the accuracy of a given rifle. I believe that not all , but some of the big manufacturers such as Reminton, Savage, Winchester, etc. have their support departments trained with a list of questions as well as being tuned into the details when someone calls with an accuracy problem. I am sure they would go broke if they took back every rifle that they had a a call on, and would likely find that when tested, the rifle was OK. I'm not implying that this is the case with the OP. Our company sells labotatory testing equipment that guarantees a certain result, but like shooting a rifle, there is a degree of knowledge and preparation required to get those results. Our support dept is heavily trained to listen and ask certain questions to try and determine whether the problem is with our product, or the operator. If we get answers that indicate there is a problem with our product, or can't determine what the cause is,we will take it back, or send an engineer. Well over 90% of our calls for replacement are operator issues and we work to fix the issue with training. We do get an occasional product that is faulty, but then try to figure out the cause and address it. As more rifle manufacturers start to guarantee accuracy or sell higher priced "Long Range" or "Target" rifles, they wll have to put a similar process in place if they don't already have one. IMO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt