Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

111 Long Range Hunter in 300 Win Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 111 Long Range Hunter in 300 Win Mag

Ah now I see your thoughts.
I luv my lead sled for "testing" reloads. I can go out and shoot 60 rounds from my 338 Win Mag and not think twice about it.

Except... went out Friday and had a winter hat on. I did not realize that it had kept one of my ear protection cups from being completely over the ear. I always wear two ear protections but Friday for some stupid reason I did not. Now I am paying for it. In one ear I have a slight ringing still. Taking Vitamin B12 and decongestant to see if that will clear it. so far no go. :(

Yeah I have a muzzle brake. Probably why.
thanks
338WinMag
Old 02-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Platinum Member

Something else you can try, and this was suggested and I made the adjustments. Dry fire the rifle and see what direction the bolt body moves. If it moves in a forward direction it is okay, but if it moves forward and to the left, then you need to adjust the fire pin cocking pin. If it is moving forward and to the left then this cocking pin is contacting the front of the notch. I was told this can cause erratic accuracy. Simply allen head bolt loose in the back of the bolt that holds it together. Remove the firing pin assembly and back it off a couple turns.

One thing you can do so you are not putting it together and tearing it apart, use something stiff to hold the firing pin forward so you can lift the cocking pin and see where it is in the notch. You want the cocking just shy of the notch. Each turn is about .010" per notch.

Also measure the protrusion of the firing pin through the bolt face. It should only be between .050 and .055" from the bolt face. Any more or any less, then it needs to be adjusted by turning the spring retaining collar on the front of the firing pin. You will need to back off the tension off turning the rear collar where the cocking pin is at. Be careful you don't turn it too much as it will fly apart. It's a pain adjusting the front collar because you have to compress the spring and pull down the locking washer. PM me and we can discuss this via phone if you want.

One question, have you tried reloading for this rifle? Did you take it apart at all and change the torque setting on the front locking lug of the accu-stock? Also try removing the front locking lug, some guys are doing this to increase accuracy with this rifle and using it as regular aluminum v-block.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
Something else you can try, and this was suggested and I made the adjustments. Dry fire the rifle and see what direction the bolt body moves. If it moves in a forward direction it is okay, but if it moves forward and to the left, then you need to adjust the fire pin cocking pin. If it is moving forward and to the left then this cocking pin is contacting the front of the notch. I was told this can cause erratic accuracy. Simply allen head bolt loose in the back of the bolt that holds it together. Remove the firing pin assembly and back it off a couple turns.

One thing you can do so you are not putting it together and tearing it apart, use something stiff to hold the firing pin forward so you can lift the cocking pin and see where it is in the notch. You want the cocking just shy of the notch. Each turn is about .010" per notch.

Also measure the protrusion of the firing pin through the bolt face. It should only be between .050 and .055" from the bolt face. Any more or any less, then it needs to be adjusted by turning the spring retaining collar on the front of the firing pin. You will need to back off the tension off turning the rear collar where the cocking pin is at. Be careful you don't turn it too much as it will fly apart. It's a pain adjusting the front collar because you have to compress the spring and pull down the locking washer. PM me and we can discuss this via phone if you want.

One question, have you tried reloading for this rifle? Did you take it apart at all and change the torque setting on the front locking lug of the accu-stock? Also try removing the front locking lug, some guys are doing this to increase accuracy with this rifle and using it as regular aluminum v-block.

Tank
awesome info! And it was discussed in another thread the barrel is thicker than sporter weight and should do fine for three shot groups. I was thinking it was sporter but apparently it is heavier than that. It definitely should shoot well.

Sorry to hear about your ear! Hope everything comes back ok!
Old 02-06-2011, 04:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
Usually when you basically have two groups (clusters) it indicates something shifting. Bedding, scope, ??
This is my suspicion as well. Check the rings, bases, action screws.

How often are you cleaning the barrel?

Most of my Savage factory barrels liked to be shot dirty. At least 15-20 rounds. It was the difference between 2" groups and .5" groups.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338winmag View Post
Has anyone else experienced this: Please respond.
I tried to keep him encouraged, making up some excuses as we went but groups for all three ammunitions were not only so freaking inconsistent you had to wonder if you were dreaming, but the groups were often 5-8 inches at 200 yards. Not one single grouping was decent. Not one.

He takes the rifles and correct the issues and guarantees 1/2 groups at 100 yards with premium over the counter ammo.
Very Sad and Mad
338 WinMag
The first thing I would do is not panick and the second thing I'd do is not get TOYALLY UPSET until you know what is going on. There has to be something drastically wrong for a rifle to shoot 5-8" groups. Hell - that's smooth bore accuracy. I can't help but believe that scope, mount, bases or something is really out of wack. If you take this to your savage gunsmith guru and he can make a 5-8" rifle into a 1/2" without it being in the scope, bases, mounts etc. - I want to know his name and address.

Hopefully you'll get to the bottom of this. As for Savage - my experience has been nothing but positive when I have had a problem. Let us know how things end up.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:31 PM

I had a similar issue with mine (LRH in .300 WM). Was brand new....loaded up some 200 gr Sierra Gamekings with RL22 and took it to the range. From a lead sled it grouped approx 4-6" at 100 yards.... Very disappointed.

Called Savage, was told to try different loads, etc... But pressed a bit about more technical questions about the measured distance to lands, etc. and asked if I could speak to someone in engineering. They told me Steve (pretty sure that is his name) was involved in the LRH development??? I left a message for him to call me about this. He called me back and discussed the problem, and that the one he owns is shooting around 1/2". He stated that they only claim 1.5" but that they usually are capable of much better groups. He recommended that I try Hornady 165 GMX Superformance and see what that would do.

I picked up the Hornady ammo and took it to the range and the results were a pattern of approx 12" group (if you could call it that) at 100 yards. (Not bad mouthing that ammo, at all. Just was worse than my handloads in this rifle, with its defects) Called Steve back and discussed the results of the Hornady test. He got me tranferred over to Customer Service to issue a call tag to send the rifle back to Savage to his attention.

I sent my rifle in with my target and received a call from Steve maybe a week later that they had their tech dept go through the gun and make sure there weren't any issues and that they found a few things and now the rifle shoots .6" at 100 yards as tested at Savage. He said something about a crown issue or something?

Anyways, took the remaining 200 gr Sierras that I originally loaded to the range. The results were much different from before....shot approx 1.5" at 200 yards. I havent done a thing with it after that as I have been busy with other projects and builds. I am confident that this will shoot even better as that 1.5" group was with rounds that all had different powder charges. (Trying to find some nodes).

Hope this helps you. Savage handled this very well in my experience, and hopefully you could get in touch with Steve and see if yours has a similar issue.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member

" A crown issue "means that they re- crowned it because it was messed up! This makes perfect sense for a group like that......