Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

111 Long Range Hunter in 300 Win Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 111 Long Range Hunter in 300 Win Mag

338....what do the groups look like? Vertical, horizontal, clumps (2 here and three there) or all over the place?...Rich
Old 02-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

i shoot against savages all the time in competition. some of them can really shoot. i use a rem 700 in competition. and remington sendero for long range hunting.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Bronze Member

2 here and three there

Owner does not want to test. I really want to test the many suggestions including taking off his NightForce and putting on my Viper. Still no go. He could very well be right and going back out to range would be a waste of time. I just like to measure 2-3 times before I cut.

But this thread was not in vain. I will remember all suggestions when I run into my situations and apply.

A good example is my first use of my new chrony. Tested some reloads and they were almost hitting 3000 fps out of my 338 Win Mag. I stopped after 5-6, came back home, busted the remaining test rounds, reloaded again making sure all measurements were correct. Went back out to the range and again almost 3000. I was convinced the new chrony was messed up.

Decided to ask a forum. Most everyone knew what the deal was right away. I went back out to the range and this time ""made sure the chrony was perfect extended out and flat". Sure enough, reloads were at a more applicable fps at 2765. Just incredible how a 1/4" inch off flat would make that much difference.

Thank you everyone
338WinMag
Old 02-05-2011, 11:33 PM
Platinum Member

Usually when you basically have two groups (clusters) it indicates something shifting. Bedding, scope, ??
Old 02-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Silver Member

My brother was almost ready to buy this model a while back, but I steered him away. I am a Savage fan but I don't understand why they put such a long lightweight barrel on this gun with the heaviest of Accutriggers. The problem may very well be technique if he's not used to shooting so long and light. (Can't be too light with that NF!) Sorry I'm not more help.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Bronze Member

What he got for initial customer service sold me NOT to consider them as a first choice.

No one has made remarks regarding this though:

"Being a reloader, here is my big question of the day:

I have broke down many over the counter factory ammo including the premium ammo from the big names. I am not impressed. Larger than average bullet runout numbers, case lengths not consistent, bullet weight not consistent, powder not consistent, seating depth to ogive not consistent. The opposite of these very things are what makes accuracy at their very best.

But there are even other factors. Sure Savage built in a minimal headspace tolerance but that only accounts for the true headspace face of breech to where the case stops (for magnums and rimmed). There is still the factor that the new over the counter ammo is not fireformed to your chamber so your bullet alignment to bore can be off as well as irregular case expansion to shoulder affecting bullet start.

Also, we all know that bullet depth seating is a very big factor for getting those rounds within Sub MOA accuracy so I am a little confused that an over the counter rifle (Even the Great & Almighty Savage 111 Long Range Hunter) as an overall purchase should get such consistent tight groups (according to the Gunsmith) and that his special work can do even better with the original chamber and barrel (aside from Savage's 111 proprietary bedding and trigger)

Please tell me this is realistically and truly possible and his expectation of at least .5 groups for Savage default and gunsmith proven .3-.4" groups possible with over the counter premium ammo? I just hate to see someone loose a lot of money for unrealistic expectations."

I could be wrong.........
Thanks
338winmag
Old 02-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Silver Member

That's kind of what I was referring to. Same style rifle, savages generally shoot better than anything else out there but I don't feel the LRH is the best choice for accuracy, but if the renowned Savage gunsmith says it will, I'd take his word for it especially if he guarantees it. I'd check all the little stuff like free floated barrel and things and put it in a lead sled to confirm technique before spending any more money though. Then I'd send it to the smith and while it's there I'd have a heave duty recoil lug installed. That's my opinion.