Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

1000yd 7mm Rem Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 10:32 AM

1000yd 7mm Rem Mag

Hey guys I've got a Remington 700 in 7mm rem mag that I bought off of gunbroker hoping to turn it into a long range rifle. I'm not really looking to turn this into a wildcat caliber, just wanting to stick with 7mm. Anybody got any ideas as far as finding a good drop in barrel, length/twist. Also would like to change the stock and trigger as well. I've already got a leupold mark4 with custom reticle so that's not a problem. Also anyone one with any built up loads reaching 3000fps would also be appreciated!
Thanks Guys!
Old 01-15-2014, 10:47 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 1000yd 7mm Rem Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by btLRH View Post
Hey guys I've got a Remington 700 in 7mm rem mag that I bought off of gunbroker hoping to turn it into a long range rifle. I'm not really looking to turn this into a wildcat caliber, just wanting to stick with 7mm. Anybody got any ideas as far as finding a good drop in barrel, length/twist. Also would like to change the stock and trigger as well. I've already got a leupold mark4 with custom reticle so that's not a problem. Also anyone one with any built up loads reaching 3000fps would also be appreciated!
Thanks Guys!
You'll have to have a smith thread it, chamber it, and fit it...But it will be worth it.

Length needs to be atleast 26". Twist needs to be 1:9.

What weight bullet do you plan on shooting? Also, loads are rifle specific, and what will work in 1 gun, will not necessarily work in any other gun.

.7mm-9 Twist, S/S : "AIR-GAUGED" PREMIUM BARREL | Brownells

Bartlein Barrel

Krieger Barrel

Brux Barrel

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:54 AM

Well I've done a little lookin around, and I shoot 140 bergers out of my 6.5-284 and was leanin toward 168 bergers for the 7mm.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:56 AM
Platinum Member

The 168's should work ok, but I'd recommend the Berger 180 VLD or 180 Hybrids.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 01-15-2014, 11:04 AM
Silver Member

Personally I would give Jim Briggs a call at Northland shooters and ask about the Remage barrels. If you go that route, once you pull the original barrel no smith is required from then on. You simply loosen the barrel nut, put on a barrel, head space and your good to go.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbm View Post
Personally I would give Jim Briggs a call at Northland shooters and ask about the Remage barrels. If you go that route, once you pull the original barrel no smith is required from then on. You simply loosen the barrel nut, put on a barrel, head space and your good to go.
You can do the same thing with a switch-barrel without the nut, and a pinned recoil lug. Looks better than the nut, too. You buy however many barrels you want in whatever bore-diameters you want, then have the action trued, have the recoil lug pinned to the action, then have each barrel's headspacing set on that action and recoil lug. Then after that, all you need is a barrel vise, an action wrench, and a torque wrench and you're good to go. You don't even have to have a torque wrench if you use proofing marks for alignment. But I prefer the torque wrench, it's more precise.

Quote:
Old 01-15-2014, 11:15 AM

Do you have any idea where I should start with a load for this?