Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

1 full custom or 4-5 factory guns????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 1 full custom or 4-5 factory guns????

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgarrett View Post
I am not into selling guns. I have kids and grandkids to give anything they can pry from my hands. That's my main excuse for keep buying as this one could use this or that. I have well over 10 guns I have never shot but mainly they were bought with the grandkids in mind... Soon as they grow a little they can use them..... or at least that's what I tell myself. I have 2 more projects to get done and then I am starting my custom account. There are 4-5 calibers I really would like to have in a custom... Just need to figure out which one and go for it. I guess I really only need to save 50% for the down payment then I could have another year or so to save the rest while the smith works his magic.. Thanks for all the comments...dgarrett
A good way to manage the timing and budget is to order the components you need once you have the funds. Some of them will probably take 6 months or longer to get in. While waiting for the components to arrive, you can save for labor (smithing) My smith requires half down which is OK with me because, 1) I trust him and 2) it helps me budget.

Here's a little checklist that might help...

Reamer and gauges if required
Custom dies from reamer drawing if required
Action
Stock
Barrel
Brass
Bullets
Powder

Most glass and related components are readily available. And can be purchased during the smithing.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams