Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

1 full custom or 4-5 factory guns????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Gold Member

Re: 1 full custom or 4-5 factory guns????

FWIW. A handful of years ago I had about 8-10 rifles of various calibers I thought at the time were or would be at some point, fun & cool niche guns to own. Prices were "right" and I had the means so Id get punch drunk on buying more and more guns. All were factory. Then one day it dawned on me how little I shot them & how much I needed to proactively supply them with ammo. None of them held any real soft spot in my heart, none of them gave me the "wow" factor I was looking for. Sure they were decent rifles, most were moa or a tad better. I figured I had about 5-6k wrapped up in them and the philosophy quickly turned from notion of "quantity" above all else to "quality". I sold them off over the course of 6 months and I reinvested the $ into full customs. Best move I ever did. I absolutely love shooting my customs and I dont see that satisfaction ever going away as long as Im alive and walking on this planet. It can happen before you realize it, that is having thousands tied up in many rifles/handguns. And you may find more often than not, that you only shoot a few of them on a regular basis. If that ever starts happening its probably time to sell off a few. (unless they were bought soley for collection/investments).
Old 12-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member

I have been fortunate enough to own many of both. I went through the stage where if I seen it and the price was right it went home with me. At one time I had a built in gun cabinet that held 70 rifles. It was full and more were stashed through out the house. Then I sold off and starting building long range customs. My taste changed from the beautiful collection of 5 panel LazerMarks I had to a composite stocked long range rig that I shot more and was more accurate. Today I still have a couple factory rifles that hold some memories. But if I was forced to clean the safe and only keep one to hunt with it would be my full custom 300 win with a cabinet full of H-1000 and 215 Bergers. It will, and has done everything I need to do from antelope past 1000, to large bulls just under 1000. And my confidence in this rifle is very good. So that would be my rifle of choice for under 1000. But then I would hate to give up the LRKM for work past a mile. Not as practical but it keeps me busy working to be better at the ELR stuff.

I like the tinkering too working with a rifle I got a "deal" on. But I feel now my time is better spent trying different things with a custom until I get it worked into a 100% confident combo like my 300 win.

Jeff
Old 12-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Gold Member

I'm in the fiddle with it phase.

1 'custom' purchased from a different forum.

The rest are old factory, DIY Semi custom, or actions for projects.

How 'custom' is a rifle when the only factory part left is the steel the S/N is stamped on? IE: Built with a 700 action or a boutique 700 foot print action.

There are some newer 'used' rifles on the way. 'Customization' was started by previous owners and will continue will change over time.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=MontanaRifleman;889221
First off, I would never have just one rifle.

[/QUOTE]

sometimes I envy the guy with 1 rifle... I bet its always ready unlike my safe full of never ending projects

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 12-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
sometimes I envy the guy with 1 rifle... I bet its always ready unlike my safe full of never ending projects
A wise man once said, "Beware of the man who only has 1 gun...There's a good chance he knows how to use it..."

However, I'm a fan of the "buy as many as you can" theory, myself.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
Well it may not always be ready and that's a good reason to have a back up, but there is something to be said for simplicity. Don't think I would ever want less than 3 and a half dozen or more is better...lol

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 12-11-2013, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
A wise man once said, "Beware of the man who only has 1 gun...There's a good chance he knows how to use it..."

However, I'm a fan of the "buy as many as you can" theory, myself.
Yeah, I have heard that saying but don't subscribe to it. The with multiple rifle is more likely to have a lot more trigger time.

There was a time I only had one rifle and didn't shoot more than a box a year through it. I wasn't a bad shot, but my proficiency is better shooting multiple rifles.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams