Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

1 full custom or 4-5 factory guns????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Silver Member

1 full custom or 4-5 factory guns????

In the last few years I have acquired 8-10 different rifles... I could of gotten a full custom rifle each year for what I have spent. I like fooling with them. Putting aftermarket parts and screw on parts. I have a few semi-customs but nothing even close to a full custom. The best of these guns will shoot 1/2 inch and better the worse over 1moa... I think allot of people end up with a gun collection like mine just from buying what they find and think are good buys vs. saving for a year or two and getting a full custom. I am not completely happy with any gun I own... I have the feeling that I am really missing something special by not having a full custom. The biggest problem I have is finding new and used rifles that I think are a great buy and not having the discretion to pass them up and keep saving for that one custom rifle. Usually I have already found my next purchase before I have the one I bought before it completed . Leaving glass aside, What is your thought on owning one custom rifle verse 4-5 factory rifles that you can dribble money into and get them to shoot pretty well?...dgarrett
Old 12-10-2013, 08:12 PM
Silver Member

Re: 1 full custom or 4-5 factory guns????

Well..well... 1 full custom can have 200 different cartridges if you want.

Buy a good action and you can always buy 2 to 5 switchable barrels for different caliber/cartridge.

You have to buy two bolts or two bolt heads, one is standard bolt, .473 and magnum bolt, .535
with only one custom gun.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member

It all depends on what you want to do with them and what level of precision you want.

First off, I would never have just one rifle.

I don't own a full custom yet but it is in my plans to get 1 or 2 or more. I've got 3 semi customs, with match grade barrels, quality bedded stocks and blue printed factory actions. These are my long range rifles.

I also have a factory Vanguard in 223 and an M70 in 22-250. The M-70 is going to get a semi-custom upgrade before too long with new match barrel and stock as it's current barrel is starting wear out. The 223 is less than a year old and shoots great out of the box and I don't anticipate doing much with it for a while.

A few years back I bought a couple of used Senderos which I did a lot of precision and some long range learning on. I since sold them to help finance my semi custom projects.

For me a combination of factory, semi custom, and full custom rifles works. That said, I probably won't be buying anymore factory rifles again.

In general, you get what you pay for and if you want a good precision long range rifle a full custom is usually the best way to get there although a well built semi custom can run neck and neck with a full custom.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 12-10-2013, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

I have 2 full blown customs that I love,and one is packer and one rig type. I shot 98 % of my stuff Before wolf intro.Factory 340 wby 20+ years took alot of game with that rifle,first 6x6 was over 500 back when, before Lrf
Old 12-11-2013, 01:08 AM
Platinum Member

Depends on whether you prefer tons of dinkin' around and shooting a lot or

Seriously hunting.

Serious hunting takes way more time with way fewer shots and, seems to me, more enjoyable and rewarding.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgarrett View Post
In the last few years I have acquired 8-10 different rifles... I could of gotten a full custom rifle each year for what I have spent. I like fooling with them. Putting aftermarket parts and screw on parts. I have a few semi-customs but nothing even close to a full custom. The best of these guns will shoot 1/2 inch and better the worse over 1moa... I think allot of people end up with a gun collection like mine just from buying what they find and think are good buys vs. saving for a year or two and getting a full custom. I am not completely happy with any gun I own... I have the feeling that I am really missing something special by not having a full custom. The biggest problem I have is finding new and used rifles that I think are a great buy and not having the discretion to pass them up and keep saving for that one custom rifle. Usually I have already found my next purchase before I have the one I bought before it completed . Leaving glass aside, What is your thought on owning one custom rifle verse 4-5 factory rifles that you can dribble money into and get them to shoot pretty well?...dgarrett
I do the same thing. I buy something I want that is already assembled how I want it. Then I also pick up some guns simply because I see potential in their future, or need the action for a semi-custom, like I did when I bought my 700 .338 WM. I didn't want the caliber, just the stainless jeweled action, B&C stock and the DNZ scope mount. I wasn't worried about what caliber the barrel was or what cheap scope was on top of it. I was planning a lightweight deer rifle build, since almost all of my rifles are heavy barrels, and this was a good cheap option and a good starting point, since all I would need would be a new barrel and a different scope to make it how I want it.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:40 AM
Platinum Member

Tough call. If part of your hobby is messing with gun set up and the enjoyment of the process then stick with tinkering.

If you have the funds to pay for a full custom and still tinker with other guns then this is the route to go. There is just something magical about the full custom. Usually they are more consistent and easier to work up an accurate load. It does not mean they will out shoot a factory or semi custom rifle though. They just have the garuntee behind them that eliminates high volume manufacturing defects that occasionally slip through and drive people crazy.

I don't have a full custom but I have shot several made by Ed Sweet and also Gunwerks. I am not currently planning to buy one either. I am building a couple of my own now. I like the challenge and if they work well, the pride that comes along with it. I like to tinker. I have a factory rifle that I have ton of confidence in and it is my go to for LR hunting.