Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

1/2 MOA complete gun package for $1K

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Gold Member

1/2 MOA complete gun package for $1K

I recently completed a maximum effective range shooting school where interested new "long range" shooters were on a budget. I picked up a new Savage LRH ($685) in 6.5 X 284 for the class to use as comparison to some of my custom guns. During the equipment and reloading days, the students mounted a Leupold VXIII 6.5 X 20 ($700) on a 20 MOA base with rings, bubble ($150) and Harris bipod ($110). They used the morning to reload Lapua brass with 140 Berger VLD's. The afternoon was on the range properly breaking in the barrel and establishing load development potential thru a Crony. After 50 rounds of break in and close estimate for final load development, the brass was reloaded for ten rounds for another day at the range. Here are the results.

1/2 MOA complete gun package for alt=K-6-1-.jpg
1/2 MOA complete gun package for alt=K-6-2-.jpg

Three rounds were fired in two minutes on a cold bore off the bipod followed by one round after two minutes and another round after another two minutes. The temperature was 38 degrees so overheating was not an issue. Correction was made and the gun was left to cool for 20 minutes followed by the same string on the center of the 1" lines three inches above the bull. I usually shoot 5 to 10 shot strings to establish potential MOA precision. I don't believe three rounds are enough to establish the precision potential for a gun/ammo combination.

I am posting these results for those interested in "long range" shooting restricted to a budget or just starting out. This is my fourth "box" Savage and all guns are capable of multiple shot sub MOA groups with equal results tested to 1000 yards. The Savage LRH is comfortable to shoot, light weight for a LR gun, has a great trigger and best of all priced for a reasonable budget. However, as with any gun custom or stock, you must properly care for and break in the gun compounded with match reloading tuned to your gun.

Good luck and good shooting
Old 02-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 1/2 MOA complete gun package for $1K

Nice write up and results.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:01 PM
Platinum Member

+1 on the write up. I've got a heavy barrel savage 308 and out of the box it shoots the federal match less than half inch. They are amazing, especially for how much they cost.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 02-06-2013, 12:05 PM

MMERSS - would you mind sharing your load data and what velocity you achieved? I also have the LRH in 6.5x284 and am working on loads now also with lapua brass and 140 bergers.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Silver Member

Great write-up! Thanks for sharing. Would you mind also sharing what their recommended break-in procedure was? Just for kicks...

Thanks!

-The flexibility of your adaptability is the true measure of your intelligence-
Old 02-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member

Good write up and great shooter you have there! On groups for precision, I think it depends on your perspective. If you're more into competition and paper shooting then 5 - 10 shot groups is the name of the game. But for general LRH shooting, the cold bore shot is the one that counts, followed maybe by a 2nd or 3rd. My routine would be a cold bore double tap at various ranges and conditions. Shooting 5 - 10 groups although fun, will eat up barrel life.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-06-2013, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Good write up and great shooter you have there! On groups for precision, I think it depends on your perspective. If you're more into competition and paper shooting then 5 - 10 shot groups is the name of the game. But for general LRH shooting, the cold bore shot is the one that counts, followed maybe by a 2nd or 3rd. My routine would be a cold bore double tap at various ranges and conditions. Shooting 5 - 10 groups although fun, will eat up barrel life.
I agree 100% also with chamberings normally associated with long range hunting your getting into cartridges that can eat a throat in short order if steps to keep the barrel cool and clean are not taken.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe