Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Zeroing the turrets on a Leupold VX-III

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 10:40 PM

Zeroing the turrets on a Leupold VX-III

So I am very new to owning rifles and have never had to zero a scope before. I have a Leupold VX-III like the title says, and I just got it zeroed to 100 yds, but I can't seem to figure out how to zero the turrets???

If that makes sense. I bought it from a friend and it did not come with a manual, although I looked up the manual online. The pictures in the manual don't correspond to my scope. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Gold Member

Re: Zeroing the turrets on a Leupold VX-III

I wonder if you could send it to Premier and have them zero it for you...

Just razzin'... inside thread hack joke, of sorts. :o

Okay, now to be serious...

Does your scope have target turrets or just the lower hunting turrets under the caps?
Old 06-19-2012, 04:33 PM

It has the low hunting turrets. There are cheesy gold rings at the bases with a notch...is that supposed to be spun around to the zero ? How is that supposed to stay still???

Would it be worth trying sending it in for custom turrets? Does anyone make aftermarket caps?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Silver Member

They will stay still. You just spin that little dial and put the caps back on. Two of my hunting rifles have those and they never move. On my Long Range rigs I have Stoney Point turrets and they have held up pretty well. Factory turret replacement is the best way to go but it's expensive. Stoney Point turrets go for around $25. each.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member

If you are SWAT I'm almost positive you have marksmen/sharpshooters. Instead of asking for directions on the internet have one of those guys show you how to do it. Most LE marksmen are rifle nuts like most military Snipers I know and will know how to zero turrets.
Yes, having target knobs installed in well worth it. Be it the covered type or not.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:50 PM

Haha! The snipers on my team are stealthy...in everything they do. I don't have much interaction with them! Not to mention I'm out with a knee injury right now and just got the rifle set up. Still about four weeks away from getting off the DL.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

Gotcha, I know what you mean. We are detached from our infantry bretherin as well. However, if I need advise from a medic I have ours on speed dial.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.