Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Zero Stop question(s)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Zero Stop question(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
When the NXS bottoms out it bottoms out the same as it does with the spacer.
While anyone could expect as much from a startup like Vortex, You are flat out wrong about the workings of NF zero stops.
NF does not use a spacer to stop turret turn.
They use shoulders in radial contact, so that no tension is developed in the stopping action.

When the elevation threads are very fine(they are) you don't need a pipe wrench to screw up your scope. Any common bolt of such fine & clean/lubed threading, and a head the diameter of a scope turret, will stretch/preload with mere hand tightening. Granted it's a relatively small amount, but very bad for scope internals(which are not as strong as common bolts).

Trust me, you're not gonna find out anything good about sticking spacers under your turrets to 'stop' them.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
Trust me, you're not gonna find out anything good about sticking spacers under your turrets to 'stop' them.
I agree, putting mechanically applied up force on the turret is bad ju ju... Not me baby, no way.

Jeff
Old 12-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member

Jeff,

"First, I am sure they offer a zero stop with 1/4 moa turrets. My two are not zero stops. One has a custom milled base that when sighted in is 3 moa off bottom. The other we used a 40 moa base and it is 10 moa or one turn off bottom. The zero stop is a great option, but not always necessary."

What's the diff between this and what I'm doing?

My intended use is to not crank it down to the stop then back it up to zero. The intention is to no have to remember which of those even numbered lines at the bottom are to be showing. I've been 10 MOA one time and 20 MOA another from looking at it wrong.

It is easy to see the turret knob approaching the clip ring. With 7 MOA to touch it, I should never go that far. Except by mistake of course.

Side note:

Back in 1966 Cecil Dodge (Pocatello gun smith) was slow in getting the barrel fitted to my 270. He loaned me his personal rifle for the season. It was a Win 70 rechambered to 300 Wby. I was intrigued to notice it had no dials on the scope and no adjustments on the base. There was some kind of 6X or so scope on it. He gave me the hold overs. My doe was shot at 75 yds. While field dressing it my buddy shot a doe at 400+ yards. I asked Cecil if I could shoot jackrabbits with it. He said sure. I shot runnin' jacks till I ran out of those old Nosler partitions. Loved that rifle. Cecil is one of the best men I've ever had anything to do with.

PS:

A study of the above video clearly, to me, shows that NF zero stop does not provide any upward force to the adjustment. Pretty nifty arrangement.