Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Zero Stop question(s)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Zero Stop question(s)

I looked at doing something like that and couldn't figure out a nice way that I liked. Then I decided to just turn the knobs down until they stopped and count the revolutions. I then wrote down the number of turns from the bottom of each knob. For my 338AM, it's 2 turns down for the elevation and 4 turns in on the windage. Pretty easy to verify my knobs if I start over thinking things.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 08-17-2009, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks a bunch guys. I like the spacer idea. I was eyeballing my wifes toe ring on the bathroom sink yesterday. Looks to be the right thickness. I wonder if she'll miss it? AJ: I did the same thing for the time being. I guess that revolution count could/would change if I put a 20MOA base on the rifle. JohnnyK.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyk View Post
Thanks a bunch guys. I like the spacer idea. I was eyeballing my wifes toe ring on the bathroom sink yesterday. Looks to be the right thickness. I wonder if she'll miss it? AJ: I did the same thing for the time being. I guess that revolution count could/would change if I put a 20MOA base on the rifle. JohnnyK.
Yep, so would the spacer height. Or, err the toe ring size

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 08-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

you laugh, some young kid is setting at his computer, making plans to purchase 1000's of toe rings, have them engraved with "Tactical", "Xtreme" or something "cool", and sell them to shooters for $49.99! JohnnyK.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyk View Post
you laugh, some young kid is setting at his computer, making plans to purchase 1000's of toe rings, have them engraved with "Tactical", "Xtreme" or something "cool", and sell them to shooters for $49.99! JohnnyK.

Or maybe engraved with "X3M", but I'll sell them for $19.99 for LRH members. LOL
Old 04-17-2010, 04:43 AM
Platinum Member

Be careful using spacers.
These are not like NF zero stops, which prevent further turning of the knob, rather than bottoming out.
You could damage the internals bottoming out, as the shaft could lift or stretch with the force provided by the threading(like torquing a stud). And the internals are pretty precise..

Technically, you could turn the knob until the guts pulled right out of the scope using a spacer under it. Just an extreme example for illustration.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Be careful using spacers.
These are not like NF zero stops, which prevent further turning of the knob, rather than bottoming out.
You could damage the internals bottoming out, as the shaft could lift or stretch with the force provided by the threading(like torquing a stud). And the internals are pretty precise..
I took all of mine out after reports surfaced about damaged internals.

They are easy to make.

To make them just take slightly udersized PVC pipe and a radial arm saw and cut slices off. Open up the slices to just fit the scope. With gloves on use a upside down belt sander to thin the slices down to the needed thickness. Wear glasses as the PVC pipe will sometimes shatter and the saw blade will sling pieces at very high speed.