Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Zeiss vs Swarovski

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 09:34 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

All good options. I've looked through the Zeiss HD5, and Swaro Z3 and Z5 scopes a fair amount. There are fundamental reasons for performance similarities and differences between theses scopes.

Both the Zeiss HD5 and Swaro Z3 scopes have doublet objective lenses. Therefore the resolution and color fringing at the optical center (zero elevation/windage setting), and resolution at high elevation setting are similar. The Z3 may have an edge over the HD5 in the field of view (erector optics), but I have not done a side-by-side comparison yet, so I can't say for sure. The Z3 does have higher contrast than the HD5 because of lower stray light.

The Swaro Z5 is in a different class because it has a triplet objective lens. It has noticeably better resolution at high elevation setting than either the HD5 or Z3. The Z5 also has the Z6 erector tube optics, which are outstanding. For that reason it has a wider sweet spot, or field of view over which the image is crisp. Again, the contrast is higher in the Z5 than in the HD5.

In my opinion, the Swaro Z5 optics are good enough that the scope can be used in any lighting condition at max magnification. The image is similar to a good, non-HD spotting scope at the same magnification. Granted, the spotting scope will go to a higher mag and have a wider field of view, but either the 18X or 25X Z5 can nevertheless be used to spot details like antler points at a much longer range than the typical 8x or 10X binocular. The ability to substitute for a spotting scope in some applications makes the Z5 a bit unique.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 08-19-2013, 09:54 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

All good options. I've looked through the Zeiss HD5, and Swaro Z3 and Z5 scopes a fair amount. There are fundamental reasons for performance similarities and differences between theses scopes.

Both the Zeiss HD5 and Swaro Z3 scopes have doublet objective lenses. Therefore the resolution and color fringing at the optical center (zero elevation/windage setting), and resolution at high elevation setting are similar. The Z3 may have an edge over the HD5 in the field of view (erector optics), but I have not done a side-by-side comparison yet, so I can't say for sure. The Z3 does have higher contrast than the HD5 because of lower stray light. As others have said, the Z3 is obviously lighter. On the plus side, the HD5 clearly has the wider zoom range.

The Swaro Z5 is in a different class because it has a triplet objective lens. It has noticeably better resolution at high elevation setting than either the HD5 or Z3. The Z5 also has the Z6 erector tube optics, which are outstanding. For that reason it has a wider sweet spot, or field of view over which the image is crisp. Again, the contrast is higher than the HD5 scopes.

The Z5 optics are so good that the scope can be used at maximum magnification in almost any lighting conditions. The resolution and the contrast holds up very well in bright light and at high elevation settings. In my opinion, the Z5 image quality is comparable to a non-HD spotting scope at the same magnification. Granted, the spotting scope will go to higher magnification and have a wider field of view, but either the 18X or 25X Z5 can still be used to reliably spot details like antler points at ranges far beyond the capability of an 8X or 10X binocular. The ability to effectively use these rifle scopes in place of a spotting scope in some applications makes the Z5 somewhat unique.

For more information on the Swarovski rifle scopes, go to this link:
Swarovski Rifle Scopes

HighPowerOptics is an Authorized dealer for Swarovski and Zeiss. For information about special pricing for LRH members, PM me.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics

Last edited by bruce_ventura; 08-19-2013 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Add link
Old 08-19-2013, 05:11 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Zeiss vs Swarovski

Don't look thru a NXS Nightforce or you will be saving your money for a while longer I have all four of the scopes talked about but a NXS can't be beat.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:16 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two 10's View Post
Don't look thru a NXS Nightforce or you will be saving your money for a while longer I have all four of the scopes talked about but a NXS can't be beat.
We talked about more than four models. Specifically which models do you have?

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Old 08-19-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Kahles glass floats my boat.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:56 PM
Silver Member

You won't go wrong with any choice you make between Zeiss or Swarovski. I have Swaro Z-5s (three), Swaro Z-6s (two) and two Ziess Victories and they are all outstanding. I have a number of different reticles and turrets. I have one thought for you. I saw the recommendation of the ballistic turret and my caution is that it limits the turns for elevation to one rotation. That means that you will have to zero a long distance if you want to shoot out to very long range (depending on your drop). Both Swaro and Zeiss offer ballistic reticles (like the Z-600 you looked at). I like the Swaro BRH more than the BRX because my eyes can see the BRH easier. I have the Zeiss Z-1000 and love it for my .308. As I said above, you will not go wrong with either of them. Good shooting to you.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
There is better glass out there than NF for less money... Kahles for example, although their tactical line is priced up there with S&B, USO, and March.

NF makes excellent scopes, and I want one myself, but facts are facts.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.