Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Zeiss or Sightron? Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Silver Member

Zeiss or Sightron? Feedback

I need feedback on a scope for a new rifle and I think I have it narrowed down to:

Conquest 6.5-20 x 50mm Matte (RapidZ 1000)
SIII Long Range 6-24x 50mm (30mm tube) Matte MOA-2 SF (or the mil/mil)

I am trying to keep with a long range turret setup but go as light as is reasonbly possible to shoot 1K and in. I have Vortex and NXS scopes already and they are almost a pound heavier than either of these scopes. I have read very positive feedback on both models but I have not seen a lot of info from those who have had a chance to use them both. One comment that did stand out is it seems the Zeiss makes better use of the full range of its power all the way down to 5 and up to 20.

I also considered the new Weaver and Bushnell Elite tactical scopes but they are very close in price and were a bit heavier. Both of these are relatively new models so there was not as much info yet.

Thanks for any feedback!
Old 02-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Silver Member

Re: Zeiss or Sightron? Feedback

The guys over at accurateshooter.com love Sightrons, they claim it's every bit as good as a Nightforce without the price tag.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:38 PM
Gold Member

The Zeiss 6.5-20x50 is a excellent scope .I use them to 1200 yards and they track excellent. I would go with the Zeiss they are proven and have been building scopes forever.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:08 AM
Silver Member

Both of your comments are exactly what I am hearing and seeing. I started off ready to buy the Sightron my only concern was feedback on how it performed when the scope is dialed down to 6, I believe after 9X the image quality drops from what I have read. The downside with the Zeiss was 1" tube and turret adjustments that are IPHY not available in MIL. But I have read the Zeiss image quality is very good for the entire range of the scope.

Still leaning toward the Sightron for 30mm and the new MOA reticle looks very good. I am also watching the other thread on feedback for the Weaver Tactical scopes.

Anyone else who has loke through both of these scopes please chime in.
Thanks!
Old 02-02-2012, 12:26 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

More info on your application would be helpful.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:40 AM
Silver Member

I have a sightron S3 6-24X50 with mil-dot reticle, its 2 years old. Its ok, but if I had the money today and was going to buy a good scope I have really been looking hard at the leupold Mark 4 ER. Ya they are more money then the sightron but I have owned more leupold scopes then sightron and have always been happy with leupolds. I see sightron has a new tactical line of scopes too. Good luck.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:02 AM
Silver Member

I will take a look at the Leupold you mentioned the weight looks great my reservation w Leupold is Mil retical with MOA turrets.

Applications details:
Hunting deer to elk size game
Rifle - custom 7mm RM
Medium weight rifle 8-9lbs
Berger VLD's in 168 & 180gr, I will probably shoot the 168's in this rifle mostly as I already have a 180 load dialed in pretty well on my 7mm Dakota.
Looking and lighter scopes around 1.5lbs

As I said I want to shoot out to 1K but practical range for hunting will most likely be 750 and in.