Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Zeiss HD5 5-25 x 50 or Swarovski Z5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2014, 12:08 PM
Silver Member

Re: Zeiss HD5 5-25 x 50 or Swarovski Z5

Swarovski will have better glass, but the zeiss is no slouch. My HD5 5-25x50 is crystal clear all the way to 25X,but eye box does get a little fussy and short on max power. The locking turrets are very nice on the Zeiss and 18 MOA per revolution makes turret dialing in the field easy to keep track of.

If turret dialing and long range shooting is your goal, the Zeiss is definitely the way to go with superior turret design and 65 MOA of elevation adjustment. the swarovski only offers 42 MOA of elevation. If glass quality is your main concern, go with Swarovski.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:45 PM

Re: Zeiss HD5 5-25 x 50 or Swarovski Z5

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmexkid View Post
Mind you I have no experience with the Zeiss. I was ready to pull the trigger on a HD 5x25 but, I kept reading stories about months long wait for repair service and that cooled my fever for one.
newmexkid has it exactly right. I sent a Conquest 6.5x20 scope in for service back in April 2014 and was told that now (in August) they are still at least 4 weeks behind. Such poor turn around is unacceptable in my opinion. Perhaps it's because the Europeans take the summers off, I don't know. It's really a ridiculous repair lag time in my opinion when you compare it to either Burris (good) or Leupold (1 week - excellent). I sent a pair of binos back to Swarovski for service a few years ago and the turnaround seemed reasonable. I would love to see Zeiss address this problem in their organization.