Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics


Reply

Zeiss Conquest HD5 worth the money???

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #22  
Old 06-09-2013, 02:31 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5
Re: Zeiss Conquest HD5 worth the money???

I've got a question about the turrets. How do they work? Ive heafd once you set them you only have like 17 moa of adjustment? I've looked through one and compared it to the viper PST. I forgot to play with the turrets because the salesman was extremely impatient.

I bought the PST because the warranty and the glass was very clear. I have slight buyers remorse because when shooting at 1000 yrds on 24x the glass is slightly foggy. I still took 2nd out of 20 and all of the rest had nightforce. But the zeiss has A LOT better glass. The thing I dislike the most about the zeiss is the gigantic crosshairs. They are huge! They must plan on you only shooting elk because the bars would cover up any dots on paper.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-09-2013, 05:02 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Denham Springs Louisiana
Posts: 18
Re: Zeiss Conquest HD5 worth the money???

Quote:
Originally Posted by highridge1 View Post
The selling point for me on the Zeiss HD5 5-25x50 is I have been aware of many swarovski scopes failing on bigger long range calibers and to my eye there glass is no better ,so the Zeiss for me is a tremendous value.I also really like the zeiss turrets
Where are you seeing many Swarovskis fail on larger caliber rifles?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-12-2013, 01:16 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 124
Re: Zeiss Conquest HD5 worth the money???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefieldster View Post
I've got a question about the turrets. How do they work? Ive heafd once you set them you only have like 17 moa of adjustment? I've looked through one and compared it to the viper PST. I forgot to play with the turrets because the salesman was extremely impatient.

I bought the PST because the warranty and the glass was very clear. I have slight buyers remorse because when shooting at 1000 yrds on 24x the glass is slightly foggy. I still took 2nd out of 20 and all of the rest had nightforce. But the zeiss has A LOT better glass. The thing I dislike the most about the zeiss is the gigantic crosshairs. They are huge! They must plan on you only shooting elk because the bars would cover up any dots on paper.
I own both, the 6-24X50 Viper PST (2 of them), and a 5-25X50 HD-5. I really like the Viper for LRH/S but what you say is true, it really gets foggy past 20x. The turrets and zero stop work like a charm. I mounted one on my .338 EDGE and the other one on my .308. Just got a NSX for my EDGE, lets see how that goes.

As far as the HD-5 it seems to be a very nice scope, I mounted it on my coyote .243 rifle and I really hated the zero stop tech they use. It only allows 16MOA of adjustment on each turret. The glass is nice (nicer than the PST) Crystal clear all the way to 25x. Parallax adjustment seems a little odd to me, I almost always have to crank it up all the way to infinity unlike the PST.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 7
Re: Zeiss Conquest HD5 worth the money???

Thefieldster,

The turrents have 16.5MOA with the ZEROSTOP installed. The zero stop is a tiny flathead screw that you can take out if you so desire. You have to take it out to zero your scope in anyway (at least for mine, because I had to come down elevation and the zero stop prevented me from doing that initially). I have never been a fan of ZEROSTOP for hunting as I'm never switching distances that drastically where I can get messed up with my turret revolutions. For me, 16.5MOA is about 900 yards, and the only time I may have to go from more than 900 yard back to zero in an instant would be coyote/wolf hunting, or maybe antelope, so for me it's a non issue and I leave the zero stop screw off so I have all the revolutions of the turret. As far as the crosshairs, thats one of the reasons I like 2nd focal plane (for hunting) because I am using a rangefinder for my ranging, and I like the small crosshairs that stay the same size throughout the entire power range. (I realize the benefits of FFP for ranging and competition applications) What reticle did you choose? With my standard plex (again, i'm not ranging with my scope for hunting, I have a Leica for that) it appears smaller than most, and by far smaller than most FFP scopes when magnified.

Bottom Line: If clear glass beyond 20x is important, get the HD5. If you are in competitions (it sounds like you may be) and a zero stop feature with more MOA is needed,or FFP is needed, stick with your PST. They are great too.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-12-2013, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,543
Re: Zeiss Conquest HD5 worth the money???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prieto9000 View Post
I own both, the 6-24X50 Viper PST (2 of them), and a 5-25X50 HD-5. I really like the Viper for LRH/S but what you say is true, it really gets foggy past 20x. The turrets and zero stop work like a charm. I mounted one on my .338 EDGE and the other one on my .308. Just got a NSX for my EDGE, lets see how that goes.

As far as the HD-5 it seems to be a very nice scope, I mounted it on my coyote .243 rifle and I really hated the zero stop tech they use. It only allows 16MOA of adjustment on each turret. The glass is nice (nicer than the PST) Crystal clear all the way to 25x. Parallax adjustment seems a little odd to me, I almost always have to crank it up all the way to infinity unlike the PST.
Have you adjusted the micro adjustment on the occular bell to keep from having to adjust the parallax that far out?
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-12-2013, 01:11 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 124
Re: Zeiss Conquest HD5 worth the money???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Have you adjusted the micro adjustment on the occular bell to keep from having to adjust the parallax that far out?
I did. At first it seemed a little foggy but once I adjusted the ocular bell it got much better.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-12-2013, 01:13 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 26
Re: Zeiss Conquest HD5 worth the money???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prieto9000 View Post
I own both, the 6-24X50 Viper PST (2 of them), and a 5-25X50 HD-5. I really like the Viper for LRH/S but what you say is true, it really gets foggy past 20x. The turrets and zero stop work like a charm. I mounted one on my .338 EDGE and the other one on my .308. Just got a NSX for my EDGE, lets see how that goes.

As far as the HD-5 it seems to be a very nice scope, I mounted it on my coyote .243 rifle and I really hated the zero stop tech they use. It only allows 16MOA of adjustment on each turret. The glass is nice (nicer than the PST) Crystal clear all the way to 25x. Parallax adjustment seems a little odd to me, I almost always have to crank it up all the way to infinity unlike the PST.
I have to do the same on my HD5. Even at 200yds the adjustment is almost cranked all the way up.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Have You Ever Backpack Hunted?
YES - 62.41%
1,066 Vote
NO - 37.59%
642 Votes
Total Votes: 1,708
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC