Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Zeiss Conquest HD5 worth the money???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Zeiss Conquest HD5 worth the money???

A little thinner than the German #4, but not anywhere near hair-thin. It's, IMO, a perfect size, and a good comprimise for shooters who prefer thick or thin reticles.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:56 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminole View Post
...What Zeiss has done some how is produce the same scope as the Swaro Z5 series for 500-600 dollars less...
I agree that the HD5 is a good value. I don't think it's equivalent to a Swaro Z5, though.

I just started a side-by-side comparison of the ZeIss HD5 3-15x42 and Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44. I'm not done yet, but one thing is immediately clear, the Z5 has a much better objective lens design. The Z5 has three lenses ("triplet"), while the HD5 has only two ("doublet"). The old Conquest scopes also have doublets in the objective.

When reticle is optically centered on both scopes, there isn't much difference in image quality. When I crank the elevation 24 MOA from center, however, the Z5 image stays sharp, while the HD5 loses resolution. I noticed that the Z5 also has lower glare ( higher contrast).

The HD5 is no worse in this "off-axis" resolution than other scopes at the same price point. There's only so much that an optical designer can do with a doublet design. To get better performance a triplet is needed, and that's what Swaro has done with the Z5. I've noticed that other scopes above the ~$1,300 price point tend to use triplet objectives. The Nightforce NXS line is an example.

I would not overlook the obvious differences in weight, either. While I'm not finished with this comparison, I can already see good reasons for the price difference between the HD5 and Z5 lines. I think both are good at their price points.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 06-07-2013, 09:17 AM
Platinum Member

Bruce....With each optic put in their respective price points, would you say that the Zeiss Conquest leads its class?

I know that my Conquests are not far behind my Kahles Helia KX ($1,500), which is a higher priced optic. I can tell the difference in the clarity and quality, and the eclipsing, however, the Conquests seem to really be trailing closely as far as glass and lens coatings...From my observations. Then again, I'm no glass expert like you are. You get to play with them on a daily basis and compare. Which is why I am interested to hear your thoughts.

I would love to hear your opinions on comparing those 2.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 06-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Bruce....With each optic put in their respective price points, would you say that the Zeiss Conquest leads its class?
I don't have enough detailed hands-on experience with competitor's products to make that strong of a statement. I can say that the resolution and contrast are among the best I've seen at that price point.

I guess I would say that the Conquest HD5 line sets a standard in the industry for overall value. That line doesn't offer a wide range of feature options, like FFP, milling reticles, etc., but what it does, it does well. That's especially so for raw optical performance. Zeiss has a corporate culture of excellent optical and mechanical design, and use of high quality materials. For those reasons, Zeiss dominates the HD5 price point.

Swaro Z3 is also up there in value at a similar price point. Some of the newer Bushnell 6500 and Elite Tactical scopes could be up there too.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 06-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for that input Bruce. It's good to know that we're on the same wave of thinking.

Quote:
Old 06-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Gold Member

The selling point for me on the Zeiss HD5 5-25x50 is I have been aware of many swarovski scopes failing on bigger long range calibers and to my eye there glass is no better ,so the Zeiss for me is a tremendous value.I also really like the zeiss turrets
Old 06-07-2013, 08:56 PM

Dmax1800 you have a pm