Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Zeiss Conquest focus issue at long range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 07:09 PM
Bronze Member

Zeiss Conquest focus issue at long range

I recently put a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 on a custom 7 WSM I built. I shot the rifle at 500 yards and it did not seem to focus well - was blurry - but blamed it on heat waves at the range. I just returned from guiding/hunting in Wyoming - and had several occasions that the scope would not focus at long range. Very blurry looking at elk at 600 yards - so bad you could barely make out the elk standing on the open mountain. The side focus and rear does not clear it up.

This is my first Zeiss - normally a Leupold guy - but heard such great things about the Zeiss I gave it a shot. Is there something I am not doing correctly or is there an issue with the scope?? Anyone else have this problem??

Thanks in advance
Old 10-28-2013, 07:34 PM
Silver Member

Re: Zeiss Conquest focus issue at long range

I would send it back to Zeiss . My 6.5-20 X is great at Long Range , but it is so- so at 100 Yards when Target Shooting / Load Developing . I too am wondering if this is typical of Zeiss or just a fluke .
Old 10-28-2013, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

I have 3 of the 6.5x20s and a 4.5x14. No clairity issuse at all, not up close not way out there. If I get another one and it has either of the previously mentioned issuses it would be going back cuz it ain't normal from what I've seen.

Chris
Old 10-29-2013, 09:24 AM

Same issues with a 4.5x14. I noticed it on the range first, I had to re-focus between shots. Then top end got bad. When scope was removed it rattled. I have 3 of them and this was on a 300 wm and has had some rounds under it. I sent it in but haven't heard from them yet.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:53 PM
Bronze Member

Interesting to hear - I write Zeiss and have not heard back from them. I hope it can be resolved - not like it was a cheap $$$ scope.

Thanks for the help
Old 10-30-2013, 11:31 AM

I contacted Customer Service via email and response was very quick with info needed to ship scope to them. If I'd only been as quick about shipping to them I'd probably have it back by now.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:33 PM
Gold Member

My son 4.5/14 had a broken erector spring it was a 10 wk. turn around.