Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Zee Ring Insert Question!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2005, 12:58 PM
Writers Guild

Re: Zee Ring Insert Question!

I use a t handled screwdriver with Torx or flat head inserts. I hand torque very firmly. Then let them sit for 30secs or so, then see if they budge. For whatever reason, letting it sit for a few secs firms up the tightening. This way I don't risk breaking the screws.

I don't use a torque wrench but the bolts will handle a lot of force without stripping or breaking.

To gain elevation, the scope should be raised at the rear and lowered at the front. That gives me a simple way to remember how to put in the inserts.

+ on the bottom rear, - on the bottom front.

Jerry
Old 02-28-2005, 01:23 PM
Gold Member

this is a chart I made a few months back that shows all of the different amounts of adjustment you can get from the signature rings, especially when you use them with a tapered base. Many have posted about getting more elevation adjustment by using these rings, but what I really like them for is to reduce the moa from a more radically tapered base. This way I can use my rifle just like normal, and before I go shoot a mile, or 2000 yd shoot, I just swap inserts around. I like a 30moa Ken Farrel base, with inserts set up for 21 moa down. This lets me go all the way to 54moa on the same base, or as low as 6moa for shooting close.

at the bottom is a pair of formulas for figuring values with different ring spacings, or for shimming under the base.
the rows with stars are amounts avalable in 30mm tubes. Burris is not making 30mm inserts in a few thicknesses, nost noteable is the .020.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member

samson

The guys are right , I reread my post and I do have it backwards.
Sorry if I caused any problems.