Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Your thoughts on the Zeiss #4 reticle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Silver Member

Your thoughts on the Zeiss #4 reticle?

Getting ready to send my 3-9 Conquest off for an elevation turret and am torn on whether or not to change the reticle to a #4 or just leave it as the Z-Plex. I like the idea of the #4, but on the only one I've had (a Leupold), the centerwire sub tension was too big (1" at 100 yards) to allow as precise a shot placement at longer distances as I would like. IIRC, Zeiss' #4 supposedly covers 1/2" at the same distance. That might be ok but I can't decide if that would still obscure too much target at longer distances to allow the most precise shot placement.

The purpose of this scope will be primarily hunting. Want to be able to place shots precisely at longer ranges, but still have a bold enough reticle for pigs at sunset +45 minutes. What do you guys think? Add the #4 or stay with the Z plex?

John
Old 08-21-2012, 07:18 AM
Silver Member

Re: Your thoughts on the Zeiss #4 reticle?

I love the #4 reticles! The Zeiss's and Minox's work excellent for me out to 600 yards. Having to ability to dial them makes them the best all arounder for me, up close and out to my max range.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:34 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Beretz. I went ahead and ordered the #4. According to Zeiss, there is 17"@100 yards or 16.2 MOA between the fat parts of the crosswire or 1/2 that from the center wire to the fat part, so at 9x, I think I will be able to use the reticle effectively enough for windage hold off, and with a little brain scratching, I think I can figure out some range estimation too. I like that the fat part is close enough together to bracket vitals too. I think I'm going to like this reticle...

John
Old 08-22-2012, 12:48 AM
Silver Member

I really like the #4. My next scope will likely be a 4.5x14 Zeiss with a set of dials on it. The #4 makes an excellent reticle for hunting, for all of the reasons you list.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member

I had a #4 once....wouldnt have one again even if it meant using open sights. Dont know if it was JUST my scope..or if they all are that way but the "thicker part" of the cross hairs was WAAAYYYY too thick. I thought i would be more like their std duplex without the upper very leg. NO WAY. That thing is at least 5 times as thick as the legs on a std duplex. I sent mine back to Zeiss and they swapped it out for me.