Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Your opinions on 7STW Scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Bronze Member

Your opinions on 7STW Scope

What issues would you consider important when choosing a power range, rectile and scope objective diameter? I am setting up a factory Sako 75 7MM STW. I do not know if parrallax would become a problem if a large objective is used.

My brand of choice is Leupold. I know there are advantages to other scopes, but am very happy the product for the price of Leupold.

Initial use will be Mule deer hunting in the high mountains. I do not expect to attempt shots in excess of 400 yds. The shot (most likely) will be at dusk or dawn in potentialy low light - dependent upon weather and terrain.

I hope to draw an Antelope tag in the next year or two. The 7STW will be my rifle of choice for that hunt.

Thanks for your opinion.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Silver Member

Re: Your opinions on 7STW Scope

This would be very good for your purpose. Also, adding a good muzzle brake is not a bad idea.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s...x40mm-adj-obj/

Last edited by LewisH; 07-10-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Bronze Member

That Leupold VX-3 is what I placed on my 30.06 last year. It has the Boone & Crockett rectile - for the 30.06, I couldn't be happier. I performed some low light range tests comparing the older VX-II with a 50mm objective. The new glass in the VX-3 scope had noticeable improved light gathering abilities when compared to the older, larger objective Leupold.

For the 7STW I am thinking of a fine crosshair, but do not want the crosshair to break while shooting that cannon - recoil.

Long distance shots will require a non cluttered and fine wire crosshair.

I was impressed with the light gathering abilities of the VX-3 40mm Objective. It left me wondering what would a larger objective could gain...and what would the drawbacks be.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:43 PM

Hi,

I also recently had a 7STW built on a Sako action,with a Hart barrel.I too have been trying to decide on a scope to use.I finally decided on a Leupold VX3 8.5-25x50 with fine duplex reticle.I do not plan on using this for anything longer than 5-600 yards this year,but figured might as well get the higher magnification for the future when(hopefully)I will feel comfortable shooting to further distances.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:49 PM
Bronze Member

I have Shepherds P1A's on both of my STW's and haven't had a place to test them past 700 meters but the circles are right on out to there and they gather light pretty darn good...............just my two cents worth
Old 07-14-2009, 11:44 PM
Silver Member

Never had any problems with my 4.5x14x40mm Leupolds. I had a Sako 75 7mm STW & wish I never sold it. I'd personally steer clear of a brake though. The firsy time you shoot on a cutline with no plugs you'll regret it. I did.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:18 AM
Silver Member

If you are set on a Leupold then check out the VX7. 30mm tube and 45mm objective gives you noticeably better clarity and contrast over the VX3. Also comes with a balistic plex for your specific caliber as well as express service ( as in go to the FRONT of the line should you ever need repair ) and a loaner scope if repair will take more than two to three days. They are on sale right now at WHOLESALE SPORTS (?) formerly SPORTSMANS WAREHOUSE for just over a grand. Having said that, I X2 the SHEPHERD scope. Looked through one today and that is now my choice over the VX7. Try to take a look through one if you can. (and five hundred dollars cheaper doesn't make me yelp any ) I actually think the scope to have better optics than the Leupold. Good luck.