Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

For you MK 4 guys.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Platinum Member

Re: For you MK 4 guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlybird View Post
Thanks for the dicussion guys if you have more opinions please keep them coming. So what power do you all recomend. I was thinking 6.5 x 20 but maybe that is too much.

So if what I'm reading is right-- I could order a scope from leupold. I was thinkin MK 4 6.5 x 20 LR/T and sight in dead on at 200. Then use a Ballistics program with a certain load to figure out how many clicks for a certain distance. Then hold dead on? Sorry if I seem dumb.......If it matters this gun will be used for coyote hunting 95% of the time. IT also has a Lilja with a 1:8 twist.
Depending on how and where you hunt coyotes the shots can be at varied distances and too much power on the low end will put you at a disadvantage. If your shots go to 1000 yards, the 6.5x20 is good. If you are under 500 yards, the 4.5x14 might be better. I do a lot of coyote hunting in the east and the west. In the east, I actually like a 3.5x10. Out west I use a 6.5x20which is effective out to 1000 yards, but still enables you to get quick shots if I'm in an area that offers tighter shots....many times running. The low end really helps with getting on them fast. A Mildot or TMR gives a fast lead reference on running shots, or a quick windage adjustment.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 02-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo 4 View Post
Would you mind elaborating on this comment?

Certainly. The fact I was reffering to is that BDC turrets do change based on elevation, ammunition, temp etc. I realize several turrets can be obtained for different variables, but to me, the MOA turrets are much simpler with one purchase, as opposed to having to order and change turret caps based on where I hunt.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan79 View Post
Certainly. The fact I was reffering to is that BDC turrets do change based on elevation, ammunition, temp etc. I realize several turrets can be obtained for different variables, but to me, the MOA turrets are much simpler with one purchase, as opposed to having to order and change turret caps based on where I hunt.
With the new G7 rangefinder from Gunwerks, you can have one BDC turret and the ballistic calculator wil correct correct for air density, angle, as well as give range. It will read both corrected yardage to use with a given turret as well as actual yardage and MOA. Good to 1400 yards. No need for multiple turrets.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 02-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Silver Member

I have a 4.5-14 that I use for varmit hunting I put a BDC turret on it from the custom shop the only problem as stated in the previous remarks is if the temp or altitude or humidity is different that what it is set up for you will have to make adjustments. I had mine set for 70 deg. in west texas the temps swings are something to see. Just get a dope card and take notes.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
With the new G7 rangefinder from Gunwerks, you can have one BDC turret and the ballistic calculator wil correct correct for air density, angle, as well as give range. It will read both corrected yardage to use with a given turret as well as actual yardage and MOA. Good to 1400 yards. No need for multiple turrets.
Soon as I hit the lotto, I'll get one......
Old 02-12-2012, 12:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan79 View Post
I agree that BDC turrets are not a cure all one-stop-shop. My opinion is that they do have their place, and a turret with BDC as well as MOA (or Mil) offer the best of both worlds. However, the numbers don't have to line up to use it as a reference point. I have to do this every time we are on the range with the M24's. Like I stated earlier the BDC turrets are quick and accurate out to mid range (400yards to me). It takes a lot of changes in environmental conditions to make a noticeable change in POI differences at medium distance.

For an example I just punched the numbers into JBM for the average MV of my M110 (since it's scope turrets have both). A 175 gr SMK @ 2530 fps.
I threw in a 50 degree difference in temperature, 80% difference in humidity, and went from 28.00 in HG pressure to 31.5 in HG. The difference in POI is only a couple inches of drop...unless I'm doing something wrong. Ballistic calculators and I don't seem to get along. I know that in most conditions I can turn the BDC to 4 and hit within inches of POA (not counting wind).
Just another way to skin that darn cat.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Soon as I hit the lotto, I'll get one......
I'm with ya on that one. But I don't play the lottery so I guess I'm S.O.L.!

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.