Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

For you MK 4 guys.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 06:38 AM
Platinum Member

Re: For you MK 4 guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightwind View Post
First of all, all of the BDC turrets I have seen can be replaced if you want another load.

So, I strongly disagree that dialing 35.25 by clicks is even close to twisting to 400

yards and then adjusting a couple of clicks.

What scope are you using that doesn't allow you to change BTs? If it is BRs then they are different for every load and condition anyway.
For my shooting, at least out to 1000 yards, I agree that BDC turrets are easier and faster than dialing MOA especially in lower light. I have gone almost exclusively to adding BDC knobs to my hunting scopes, and have experienced no trade off in precision once you understand correction adjustments if needed. Since I started hunting at the longer ranges the biggest issue I have had to deal with is having enough time to get the shot off at the animal. For me a BDC is absolutely faster which allows me to use the time for determining other variables such as wind, etc.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 02-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member

Bullet drop compensating turrets have been around for decades. It has just now gotten to be popular, or a fad whatever you wanna call it. The Leupold CDS is just the same system as on the original 10x Ultras the Army has issued since 1988, just without the covers (I believe). Ours don't match the rounds we were issued, they have changed since the system was designed. However, the turrets are faster to me as well. You just gotta know the different adjustments. Just going off my memory and not looking at my data book, I know that under certain conditions my drop at 900 is 8+2. Turn to 8 then two more clicks (moa). The problem with this is that if you are using a ballistic calculator like Exbal, it doesn't facilitate for BDC turrets (none that I know of). There may be a system I don't know about. Maybe Gunwerks does? We just have to keep detailed written data for different conditions. The 3.5-10 Leupolds we run on the M110 have both a BDC and MOA markings, but it is mass produced and may not match 100% with that particular weapon. I like this idea if it matched that particular rifle and out then only out to medium ranges. Then you have the best of both worlds.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:00 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the dicussion guys if you have more opinions please keep them coming. So what power do you all recomend. I was thinking 6.5 x 20 but maybe that is too much.

So if what I'm reading is right-- I could order a scope from leupold. I was thinkin MK 4 6.5 x 20 LR/T and sight in dead on at 200. Then use a Ballistics program with a certain load to figure out how many clicks for a certain distance. Then hold dead on? Sorry if I seem dumb.......If it matters this gun will be used for coyote hunting 95% of the time. IT also has a Lilja with a 1:8 twist.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Platinum Member

Go right to the 8.5x25, get the Alumina flip-ups, and the reticle you prefer, delivered straight from the custom shop(that way human hands & eyes have visited it).
Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 LR/T M1 Long Range Tactical Riflescopes Personalized by Leupold Custom Shop FREE S&H 54690, 60070. Leupold Mark 4 Riflescopes, Leupold Riflescopes.

Forget Leupold bases/rings. They're too heavy.
Consider TPS: TSR Scope Rings
Or Talley one-piece: Talley Lightweight One-Piece Alloy Scope Mounts
Old 02-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Silver Member

I would go with the M1 dials all the way. 1/4 min adjustments are going to be more precise than the popular 1/3 min BDC turrets. And like MIkeCR stated, they are affected by altitude, and different loads. Some research will separate the fact from the fiction found in this thread.

*MikeCR, I commend your tongue holding ability.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Platinum Member

The turret dial can be what you want. I have cds, and plain moa that fit my cds, they seend you one if retro fit. You can have M1 OR M5 OF A CUSTOM bdc DIAL. I f you go BDC type, shoot your drops and send them info.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan79 View Post
Some research will separate the fact from the fiction found in this thread.
Would you mind elaborating on this comment?

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.