Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

For you MK 4 guys.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 11:18 PM
Bronze Member

For you MK 4 guys.

I'm thinking putting a Mk4 on my custom .243. Would you guys recomend the CDS system or something else? I would like any and all feedback that you have on this. This gun will be used mainly for coyote hunting..maybe a praire dog or two. Thanks a bunch.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Platinum Member

Re: For you MK 4 guys.

Unless you're going to use the exact same ammo/barrel for the life of the scope, bullet drop compensation is a very bad idea.

I think you should dial in MOA, and hold off for wind in inches, based on a laminated click card generated for your system.
Carry it in your pocket.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
Unless you're going to use the exact same ammo/barrel for the life of the scope, bullet drop compensation is a very bad idea.

I think you should dial in MOA, and hold off for wind in inches, based on a laminated click card generated for your system.
Carry it in your pocket.
NO, you do not need the same ammo, same barrel, or same weather conditions. You need to understand your BDC and be able to compensate for it. It is much faster than dialing all of the clicks. It is just a short cut. Even the tales of being on a specific magnification for second focal length is just for the math impaired. Learn how they work, then learn to work yours.

What you do need is measured muzzle velocities and the ballistics of your rounds. Once you have those and a reasonable good computer program you can produce the cards you need for your BDC.

The US educational system is worse than I thought.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member

My Mark 4's all have MOA dials and either Mildot or TMR reticles. I have found that this combo gives me the greatest amount of versatility. You will have the choice of Reticle holds or dialing depending on your situation. The most important aspect is to fully understand your ballistic information an how to apply it to you scope.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 02-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

lightwind, if your gonna compensate with a card, and dial a BDC anyway, you might as well just use a card and dial in MOA. Right?

No reason to bastardize the dials and hurt the value of the scope..
Hell, he might also want move it to another gun down the road.

Dialing MOA has not been difficult for me. If I need 35.25moa, I dial it. The turrets are marked.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
lightwind, if your gonna compensate with a card, and dial a BDC anyway, you might as well just use a card and dial in MOA. Right?

No reason to bastardize the dials and hurt the value of the scope..
Hell, he might also want move it to another gun down the road.

Dialing MOA has not been difficult for me. If I need 35.25moa, I dial it. The turrets are marked.
First of all, all of the BDC turrets I have seen can be replaced if you want another load.

Second, BDC reticles are never exact anyway.

Third, there is a great reason for having a BT and dials. What you do is use the BT to get you to the nearest even measure (mine are at every 100 yards). I then dial up or down to get to the exact point I want. So, I twist to 400 yards, then click back 2 clicks to give me 389 yards. Much easier than clicking off all 23 clicks, losing track, going back to zero and clicking off 23 (maybe) again. The quick twist to line up the even marks makes it much simpler and faster to do the final few clicks.

So, I strongly disagree that dialing 35.25 by clicks is even close to twisting to 400 yards and then adjusting a couple of clicks.

What scope are you using that doesn't allow you to change BTs? If it is BRs then they are different for every load and condition anyway.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

I run a Mark 4 mil/TMR. I dial or hold on reticle, if I have time and target is small I dial exact yards. With my reticule I can use holds to 825 w/200 zero.Past that I dial only takes 6.9 to get 1000, quick and easy.The cds dial is nice for packing. But short and hard to read numbers in dim light