Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Xtreme hardcore gear xperiance's?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 11:41 AM
Silver Member

Xtreme hardcore gear xperiance's?

Any thoughts or reviews? Search didn't reveal anything. This seems like a great concept, I just don't trust mount holes to be true. Has anyone checked the accuracy of "the tank" level? I'd like to support a local company, and this looks nicer than a ring mounted level.

Thoughts?

http://xtremehardcoregear.com/tru_level_pic_rail.html
Old 11-26-2013, 12:44 PM
Silver Member

Re: Xtreme hardcore gear xperiance's?

Can you elaborate a little on not trusting mount holes to be true?
Old 11-28-2013, 12:15 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I have not tried this product, but I don't like the design for two reasons. First, IMHO an anti-cant indicator should be mounted to the scope, not the rail. There are a couple of reasons for this. If it's attached to the scope, then it doesn't need to be realigned if the scope position is adjusted or the scope is moved to a different rifle. Also, if the scope is mounted offset from the receiver, the proper alignment of the reticle is through barrel bore, not perpendicular to the rail. That alignment eliminates range-dependent aiming errors.

Second, this design puts the level too close to the eye and under the scope where the lighting is poor. I like the level further away where it is easier to get in focus, and out where it can get good light. I also like it on the left side of the scope so that I can view it with my left eye while sighting with my right.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 11-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Silver Member

Re: Xtreme hardcore gear xperiance's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce_ventura View Post
I have not tried this product, but I don't like the design for two reasons. First, IMHO an anti-cant indicator should be mounted to the scope, not the rail. There are a couple of reasons for this. If it's attached to the scope, then it doesn't need to be realigned if the scope position is adjusted or the scope is moved to a different rifle. Also, if the scope is mounted offset from the receiver, the proper alignment of the reticle is through barrel bore, not perpendicular to the rail. That alignment eliminates range-dependent aiming errors.

Second, this design puts the level too close to the eye and under the scope where the lighting is poor. I like the level further away where it is easier to get in focus, and out where it can get good light. I also like it on the left side of the scope so that I can view it with my left eye while sighting with my right.
I agree with you on scope mounted level, however once I set the scope I don't move it. I probably will go with a scope mounted level as I'll be utilizing talley one piece bases. Neat idea, regardless of whether or not this was truly leveling your action you could use it to obtain identical cant ( or lack there of ) from shot to shot.