Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

XOTIC USS 4-16x 56mm arrived

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2005, 11:39 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: XOTIC USS 4-16x 56mm arrived

Roy,

Yes the reticle is on the first focal plane.

It is kind of a false statement that the dots increase in size as they really do not. In a conventional scope with the reticle on the second focal plane, the reticle stays constant as the target either increases in size or decreases and the power ring is adjusted.

In these scopes, the dots do get smaller or larger depending on if you increase or decrease the power setting.

On a first focal plane reticle system, the dots stay consistant with the target over the entire power range. IF a dot covers x amount of area of the target on 4x, it will cover the same x amount of the target on 16x.

So while it appears the reticle increases in size it really does not in relation to the target. TO get a reticle that is still fine enough for precise shooting on high magnification as well as not being lost on low power is a fine ballance. The USS and Weaver Tacticals are set up perfectly in this aspest for big game hunting at long range.

I really would prefer the NP-R2 reticle but this system works well. I saw an IOR 4.5-14 that had a NP-R2 reticle FFP system but I am not sure that scope is available any more.

If I had my choice, I would choose that reticle design over the mil dot system but as it is not an option, the mil dot reticle can be used with great results.

No there is no real need to use the Badger Ord Max 50 rings on anything except a 50 BMG to be honest with you. OF course, is it possible to have your scope system to solid??

The reason I ordered in this mounting system is because I will be starting development of two new Allen Magnums that will require a very heavy duty system and I wanted to check this system out first hand.

You are correct though, there are many other ring systems, even from Badger Ord that are better suited for a lighter weight sporting rifle chambered for the Allen Magnums or any other round for that matter.

Yes the scope has a fast focus eye piece that I did not have to touch as it came out of the box.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-07-2005, 07:54 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks Kirby

That settles "that" part of the system...

Next part is what I emailed separately......338 ????
Old 06-07-2005, 10:15 AM
Gold Member

Thanks for the pics Kirby, She looks good mounted on your rifle.. Very stout looking too! Thanks
Old 06-07-2005, 12:22 PM
Silver Member

Knobs look like my Bushnell 3200 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Knobs look like my Bushnell 3200 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, they do [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

JB [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2005, 08:54 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Roy,

Yes the 338 Allen Mag will be coming within the next year or so after the 7mm Allen Mag has been established(PAID FOR!!)

I'm not giving out alot of details on the 338 AM but I will say it will be inpressive to say the least. The other one I was referring to is a 375 Allen Mag designed for extreme range shooting and hunting.

Richard Graves says he can do a 400 to 425 gr 375 bullet. Now its up to me to get an engine big enough to drive it to the 2800 to 3000 fps range!!! I think we have it figured out, on paper anyway.

No idea what the B.C. of a 425 gr ULD RBBT 375 bullet would be yet so can't provide any information. Just like the idea of shooting a one ounce bullet!!!

Later,

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-08-2005, 08:57 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Yes, as JB1000br has posted they are extremely similiar in design. Only real difference in the turrets is that the USS is a 15 moa per revolution, the BL tacatical is 12 moa and the BL 3200 is 10 moa.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com