Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

XOTIC USS 4-16x 56mm arrived

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2005, 07:36 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

XOTIC USS 4-16x 56mm arrived

Just got my USS 4-16x 56mm in the other day and I am very impressed with the scope so far. Clarity is on par with any top end scope I have tested yet including the Nightforce. It is far and away better then the Leu Mk4 in clarity and brightness.

I took it out the other night an hour after sun set with a 1/2 moon out and on 4x I could see 300 yards out into the hay field. I would not be able to count points on a deers rack but I would be able to take a shot at a coyote on a 3/4 to full moon night I believe.

I also really like the first focal plane reticle location which is something I would like to see on every tactical and long range scope out there.

Vertical elevation adjustment is well over 100 moas so this scope will take things out a very long way with no special bases or rings.

The only problems I have with the scope are really simple things.

First is its 56mm objective. I know this aids in brightness but it makes it difficult, impossible to mount low on a receiver. Still, for a heavy rifle this is not a problem at all.

Second is I would have liked to see a 5-20x version over the 4-16 just to offer a bit more power on the top end. That said, I have taken chucks at +1000 yards with lesser quality scopes on 15 and 16x so I suspect this scope will serve me very well out to 1500 yards.

I will be mounting this scope on my 26 lb 338 Kahn for range testing. I ordered a Badger Ord 20 moa base and a pair of Bad. Ord 50 Max 30mm High rings to allow the big 56mm objective to clear the 1.350" straight cylinder barrel on my Kahn.

When I get to the range I will report on the results.

The SS 16x on my Kahn right now will be moved over to my LAR 50 BMG to see how it handles the abuse from that beast.

Will report on my results soon.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-20-2005, 03:41 PM
Gold Member

Re: XOTIC USS 4-16x 56mm arrived

Kirby,
I can't wait to hear more about this scope. Do you think this scope would be a good one to use in conjunction with your Allen mags? Especially in my situation using a stock rifle without a raised cheekpiece?
Old 05-21-2005, 08:23 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Boman,

On a stock rifle no, I would say it would not be a good choice, the reason is that without the higher cheek piece your cheek weld would be very poor quality.

As far as use with my Allen Mags, I personally feel this may be the ultimate big game, long range hunting scope. If it lives up to the reputation I have been hearing it will rival the nightforce NXS scopes in clarity, vertical adjustment and repeatability but we will see. Expecting that from a scope that costs 2/3 rds the price is asking alot but from what I have seen so far it is not unrealistic.

To be honest, this scope will be mounted on my 338 Kahn for testing now but will be riding on my 7mm Allen Mag as soon as it is built.

While this scope will serve well for extreme range shooting it will be vastly better suited to long range big game hunting.

The big 56mm objective does require the scope to be mounted quite high so this is the reason I would say it would not be a great choice for a stock rifle.

Good Shooting

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-21-2005, 07:25 PM

Hi Kirby
Could you say what size the centre crosshair subtends in MOA?
APB
Old 05-22-2005, 08:25 AM
Platinum Member

Kirby, exactly how much is 2/3rds.? Also , reckon that big 56mm obj. might be a part of why it's brighter than the mk4? BTW, where did you get yours , Thanks, Jim
Old 05-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Jim,

Mine cost me $813 delivered, this is regular price from SWFA. They say this is an introductry price so I do not know when or if or to how much it may increase in the future.

Of course the 56mm objective will increase brightness but to be honest, internal glass quality has as much to do with light transmission as objective does.

With the quality of glass the USS has it could easily use as small as a 40mm objective and I still would suspect it would be brighter and clearer then the Mk4.

It would also be a better big game scope as well in my opinion.

Go to www.swfa.com and check them out.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-22-2005, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member

I just wish to goodness that I could go somewhere around here and compare side by side!I really thought that a mk 4 leupold would be as good a quality scope that I could afford and know that it would be well taken care of if there were any problems.There is not much money diff. but I have 'nt looked through one.Im not a conspiracy theorist but sometimes I feel like there is one against leupold. I know ,just call me goofy but thats the way I feel.J ust curious , what are the long range matches being won with? I know that I coul;d search and find out but I figure that ya'll already know so, enlighten me .T his s really beginning to get to me because of all that I've read here my guns are'nt back , so what am I supposed to do, and don't say go fishing cause my boat is broke! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]I know that Jerry Teo Likes to tout any thing that is not top of the line ( but works )and I really respect his take on all this foolishness. h e really like s to find non traditional aannnnd less expensive ways to provide the same level of performance.Then I read about a IOr scope , marvelous ,wonderful , yeah! and it costs about 500 more tha the leupold it 's being compared to. T^hen I read about an XOtic that is about the same price as the mk4 leupold , but hey ! it needs to be sent back because it's gimped ,aannnd there are more people steeping up to the plate telling their stoies about their problems with this particular brand.Wheeeeewww! Sorry , guess I let it build too long [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Please don't misunderstand , you guys are a great group and I have /do enjoy the exchange of info that is available here. I suppose that I 'm thinking there should be some kind of benchmark and go from there. Please forgive this outburst ,but I would like to find out if I'm the only one to have this problem. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Jim