Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

would you buy a scope that was mede in China?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 10:07 PM
Bronze Member

Re: would you buy a scope that was mede in China?

I totally agree with Gene.

No doubt there are top quality Chinese made optics out in the market place. It is just that we are not yet informed enough to recognise them, or the scopes that use Chinese manufactured components.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:19 PM
Bronze Member

Look thru some ProMaster Elite ED bino's.....made in China, top notch view and durable. Lifetime warranty.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

Most everyone here buys optics made in China except me LOL! Only 2 companies maybe 3 that I know of who do not do any OP, purchase piece parts or assemblies in China.

Even BMW and MB have been sourcing there for years!
Old 12-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Silver Member

I dunno...I think most lower end scopes are built in China....Even the lower end Leupy's. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about the higher end Jap. scopes. I like Vortex, NightForce and Sightron SIII. Have to say that IOR, S&B and PRemier are in a league of their own. Can't comment on the March...becuase the price / warranty ratio isn't that great...but I'm sure they are a great product...just not tested to the point others have been through the years.

It's a wonderful thing to have sooooo many choices in optics!

Wayne
Old 12-17-2010, 01:07 PM
Platinum Member

No, I refuse to buy Chinese if there's an option available. For low end electronics, like calculators and such, there are virtually no options. For scopes, scales and other things, there still are.

I have no problem buying foreign products, as long as they're good quality. Schmidt & Bender, Swarovski, Kowa, no problem at all. My issues with China relate to shoddy quality and blatant disregard for international trade laws. Someone mentioned low-end Leupold's being made in China, but I don't believe that's correct. There HAVE been quite a few "high end" models of "Leupolds" that were made in China recently, and marketed here at discount prices. Leupold markings, the whole nine yards. And totally unrelated and unauthorized by Leupold. There was a piece on Leupold's website some time back warning about these fakes. Leupold only discovered this when they had some defective scopes come back for servicing that had serial numbers they'd never made. Closer examination showed that they weren't true Leupolds at all, just a cheap copy. I don't doubt that they CAN produce good products if they want to, but I haven't seen much of that so far. Some years back I ordered a reloading scale for my own use. I wanted a high-end lab grade scale, and went with a well known US maker. Ordered one, to the tune of $1,500. When it arrived, it was marked "Made in China." It went right back, without weighing a single charge, case or bullet, for the sole reason that it was made in China. Wound up ordering a German made scale for considerably less, that I've been quite happy with ever since.

Bottom line for me is, it's not in our best interests to further the technological infrastructure of China, or their ability to manufacture high tech items that have military applications. At some point in the not too distant future, we're going to be on the wrong end of those scopes.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
No, I refuse to buy Chinese if there's an option available. For low end electronics, like calculators and such, there are virtually no options. For scopes, scales and other things, there still are.

I have no problem buying foreign products, as long as they're good quality. Schmidt & Bender, Swarovski, Kowa, no problem at all. My issues with China relate to shoddy quality and blatant disregard for international trade laws. Someone mentioned low-end Leupold's being made in China, but I don't believe that's correct. There HAVE been quite a few "high end" models of "Leupolds" that were made in China recently, and marketed here at discount prices. Leupold markings, the whole nine yards. And totally unrelated and unauthorized by Leupold. There was a piece on Leupold's website some time back warning about these fakes. Leupold only discovered this when they had some defective scopes come back for servicing that had serial numbers they'd never made. Closer examination showed that they weren't true Leupolds at all, just a cheap copy. I don't doubt that they CAN produce good products if they want to, but I haven't seen much of that so far. Some years back I ordered a reloading scale for my own use. I wanted a high-end lab grade scale, and went with a well known US maker. Ordered one, to the tune of $1,500. When it arrived, it was marked "Made in China." It went right back, without weighing a single charge, case or bullet, for the sole reason that it was made in China. Wound up ordering a German made scale for considerably less, that I've been quite happy with ever since.

Bottom line for me is, it's not in our best interests to further the technological infrastructure of China, or their ability to manufacture high tech items that have military applications. At some point in the not too distant future, we're going to be on the wrong end of those scopes.

Kevin---Loopy buys parts made there and does assy work here. The only true made in USA is USO.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:37 PM
Platinum Member

Boss Hoss,

Dissapointed, but not totally surprised. Like I said, when there's an option. This is a whole series of business decisions that's going to come back and haunt us in the near future. Still inclined to avoid doing business with them, Iran, North Korea, the Saudis, etc.. Just getting harder and harder to do anymore.

Heard that RCBS is having some of their frames cast over there now, along with some other parts. You know if there's any truth to that one?