Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Which would you buy first... Rangefinder or Binoculars?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 08:48 PM

Re: Which would you buy first... Rangefinder or Binoculars?

I have Nikon Monarch ATB 10-42, paid around $300 for them.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:06 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

You can save money by buying a porro prism bino instead of a roof prism. Good porro prisms are much cheaper to make than good roof prisms, but they are bulkier. For example, you can get a good porro prism bino for $150 or less. An example is the Pentax PCF WP II 8x40. I have the 10x50 model and it is a solid, waterproof bino with high transmission, good resolution and high contrast.

By comparison, a roof prism bino below about $300 will not have a good phase coating on the prism, which significantly increases transmission and resolution. You may find an exception in a close out model priced at around $250. However, a roof prism bino priced at $150 is going to be junk.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 08-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Bronze Member

I bought my optics in the following order:
1. Rifle scope (duh)
2. Rangefinder
3. Binoculars
4. Spotting scope (literally just came in the mail yesterday)

I don't shoot past 300 yards, so I don't even REALLY need a rangefinder or binos for hunting. I can spot game with my bare eyes and confirm with my rifle scope. The reason I needed a rangefinder was because I don't have access to a real range and wanted to know how far away to set up my target for zeroing. The binos come in handy and I use them every time I hunt, but I don't really need it. The spotting scope isn't for hunting; it's just so I can see bullet holes in paper from further away.
None of my optics would be considered "high-end", but all serve adequately for my purposes.
Anyways, your situation may be different from mine and you might decide that a pair of binos should come first, but I went with a rangefinder first.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:53 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateisw View Post
I bought my optics in the following order:
1. Rifle scope (duh)
2. Rangefinder
3. Binoculars
4. Spotting scope (literally just came in the mail yesterday)
This is what I did too but I screwed up when I bought the rangefinder so I sold it bought the Leica 1600B last year. I still don't have a great binocular for western hunting but I use my spotter to make up for it.

Bob
Old 08-08-2013, 06:10 AM
Platinum Member

Bino's without a doubt
Old 08-10-2013, 07:06 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanShot View Post
Hello

I'm new to the forum (and hunting really). I'm trying to gear up and as you well know there is a lot of cost associated with getting everything you need from your weapon of choice, to camo, to stands, etc. I'd like to buy either a rangefinder or a pair of binoculars this year and probably go for the other next season.

If you had to choose *one* and only one to begin with, which would it be? Also, what would you consider an entry level budget for the one you choose? Prices seem to range dramatically and it seems a lot of people dismiss the lower end/cost models so I have no idea where it starts getting into the decent models.

Thanks very much
Sam
Bushnell fusions can be had very reasonable, if you shop around, and then you have both bases covered. The glass, while not Leica, is pretty darned good, and the rangefinder portion is second to none. I have ranged highly reflective objects at 1600+ meters and deer at 700+ meters. Even ranged a dove on a power line at 396m. I am VERY pleased with my Bushnell Fusions.

John
Old 08-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Platinum Member

Why buy two units when one combo will do just as well? Good many years ago, I bought the Bushnell 8x bino/ rangefinder, but it was a POS. One side would not focus. Returned it under warranty and they said nothing wrong. Called them on phone and again they turned me down. I no longer support or recommend Bushnell anything, and I have a good many of their optics.

Then I bought the same thing in a Leupold VX something. 8 power binoc and 1000 yd rangefinder. Its a little beefy, but works well and has a shoulder harness to reduce weight on the neck. Paid about $700, but like it a lot.