Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Which would you buy first... Rangefinder or Binoculars?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 08:00 PM
Bronze Member

Which would you buy first... Rangefinder or Binoculars?

Hello

I'm new to the forum (and hunting really). I'm trying to gear up and as you well know there is a lot of cost associated with getting everything you need from your weapon of choice, to camo, to stands, etc. I'd like to buy either a rangefinder or a pair of binoculars this year and probably go for the other next season.

If you had to choose *one* and only one to begin with, which would it be? Also, what would you consider an entry level budget for the one you choose? Prices seem to range dramatically and it seems a lot of people dismiss the lower end/cost models so I have no idea where it starts getting into the decent models.

Thanks very much
Sam
Old 08-06-2013, 08:08 PM

Re: Which would you buy first... Rangefinder or Binoculars?

Binos, if you can't find it you don't need to range it. May need to close the gap before you range a target. You should be able to find decent glass for around $300 new. Nikon is what I like at that price range.
Cheers
Old 08-06-2013, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

Depends on where and what you plan on hunting. If you hunt in northern NJ, I'd get the rangefinder first. You are like me in Michigan, a long shot is a tad over 100 yards and rangefinders have limited magnification as well. I've found that cheaper bino's work quite well. I have a pair of Bushnell's that were about a hundred bucks and to my eyes, look (distance wise) as good as my buddy's Zeiss, but thats just me.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member

Sam,

I would go for the range finder first! What is your budget? Not dismissing the lower price ones, just trying to get an idea where you are coming from. I bought a leica 1600 used and practically new conditions and it is great. I used my cousins old leica 800 and it was very nice. I would say save a little more and try to find a leica on sale or slightly used! They have a new 1000R model which is supposed to be really nice. I would look at camerlandny.com , who is also a site sponsor, who runs some great sales on the leica models. Leica - Camera Land NY.
If you don't care this one is white http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/s...age=leica40532

Good luck on your search!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures
Old 08-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dromsky View Post
Binos, if you can't find it you don't need to range it. May need to close the gap before you range a target. You should be able to find decent glass for around $300 new. Nikon is what I like at that price range.
Cheers
Any specific model?
Old 08-06-2013, 08:26 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Depends on where and what you plan on hunting. If you hunt in northern NJ, I'd get the rangefinder first. You are like me in Michigan, a long shot is a tad over 100 yards and rangefinders have limited magnification as well. I've found that cheaper bino's work quite well. I have a pair of Bushnell's that were about a hundred bucks and to my eyes, look (distance wise) as good as my buddy's Zeiss, but thats just me.
I was thinking rangefinder as well as I can probably use it right away in NJ/NY hunting but I don't want to limit myself to a rangefinder just for this area. I might go out of state at some point.... far away.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:32 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.O. Shooter View Post
Sam,

I would go for the range finder first! What is your budget? Not dismissing the lower price ones, just trying to get an idea where you are coming from. I bought a leica 1600 used and practically new conditions and it is great. I used my cousins old leica 800 and it was very nice. I would say save a little more and try to find a leica on sale or slightly used! They have a new 1000R model which is supposed to be really nice. I would look at camerlandny.com , who is also a site sponsor, who runs some great sales on the leica models. Leica - Camera Land NY.
If you don't care this one is white Leica - Camera Land NY

Good luck on your search!
My budget is a tough question. I was looking the Vortex Diamondback HD and my brother laughed at me at looking at such a low end pair. I'd like to hit the sweet point of what I actually need without overspending. I"m not interested in the flashy glass that I don't fully utilize.

I was looking at trying to find a demo or lightly used Leica CRF 1600 specifically.

I was hoping to get at of this under $500 but if that means I get something I'll have to upgrade later I'd be willing to swing some extra cash. But as I said there is a lot of other stuff I have to buy and all at once sets off the when the wife sees all the stuff coming in.