Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Which would be brighter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-26-2006, 05:38 PM
Gold Member
Re: Which would be brighter?

There are only two things that would cause the 3.5-15 NXS to be less clear than the bigger one. First would of course be a faulty scope--which isn't likely. Secondly (and most likely) the side focus wasn't being manipulated properly. If you're sure you got the side focus right, then I'd have to say the scope was faulty.

Okay, maybe three things: [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It may also be that the reticle focus wasn't adjusted properly. If someone else twisted the occular out (reticle focus) before you looked through the scope, that might create a problem...

But what you did is a really good idea. Comparing the scopes side by side is the only way to know which one your eyes are going to prefer.

I can't fault you for choosing the IOR. Here's hoping that IOR will be around for a long time to come. The larger NXS is about 100 bucks more than the 3.5-15. I would check out two more NXS's side by side. There really shouldn't be any difference in clarity...

Unread 01-27-2006, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member
Re: Which would be brighter?

Green 788,

I can't say for sure that I have the focusing right on the NXS 3.5. I played with it and the guy there from Sportsmans did too but we couldn't get it right. Since I've not used one before I may have not adjusted it right.. I will definately go to a different store and do some more comparisons and I'll let you know what I decide. Thanks again.