Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Will this setup hold up to 338 RUM recoil?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Silver Member

Will this setup hold up to 338 RUM recoil?

I have a 338 RUM with muzzle brake that was recently completed. It's around 11 pounds with no scope. For the time being while I save up for a highend set of optics, I was wondering how the following setup would work for 1000 yard shooting since I have it "on-hand".

Nikon buckmaster 6-18x40
Burris Signature Zee rings
Weaver two piece bases

I figure with the ring inserts I can get around 20 MOA of cant but I am more concerned with holding zero and tracking with this gun.

Any thoughts would be appreciated
Old 02-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Will this setup hold up to 338 RUM recoil?

Good choice for an affordable set up, but Id opt for Burris for affordable toughness.
Ask your Nikon rep if theyll hold up to an air gun with forward spring recoil and if he's honest hell say maybe,......probably not....theyre rifle scopes.....uuuhhh...
Ask a Burris rep the same question and hell say absolutely! (They have retainer screw thingy's on both sides not just 1 side.) And theyll waranty it.
Learned that one from the reps while building Sportsmans Warehouses all over the U.S. If your woried about severe recoil messing up your''budget scope''(and I say that tongue in cheek cause theyre the best I can afford) Call up burris and ask them. I have a few and they hold up fine to my 300wby.and other magnums.

Aside from toughness, I dont have any personal experience with ''dialing em up''
at 1k.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 02-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
Good choice for an affordable set up, but Id opt for Burris for affordable toughness.
Ask your Nikon rep if theyll hold up to an air gun with forward spring recoil and if he's honest hell say maybe,......probably not....theyre rifle scopes.....uuuhhh...
Ask a Burris rep the same question and hell say absolutely! (They have retainer screw thingy's on both sides not just 1 side.) And theyll waranty it.
Learned that one from the reps while building Sportsmans Warehouses all over the U.S. If your woried about severe recoil messing up your''budget scope''(and I say that tongue in cheek cause theyre the best I can afford) Call up burris and ask them. I have a few and they hold up fine to my 300wby.and other magnums.

Aside from toughness, I dont have any personal experience with ''dialing em up''
at 1k.
+1
The Burris is one of the toughest scopes made !

I love the Leupold's but on hard kicking rifles I always use Burris (These are rifles /pistols
that have 80 ft/lbs + recoil).

J E CUSTOM
Old 02-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
I figure with the ring inserts I can get around 20 MOA of cant but I am more concerned with holding zero and tracking with this gun.

Any thoughts would be appreciated
You can get 40 MOA in theory, according to Burris.
20 in the back, 20 in the front.
Use the "small" side of the 20 insert on the top of the rear ring and the "small" side on the bottom of the front ring. In theory (again, according to Burris) that gets you 20 MOA up in back and 20 MOA down in front for 40 MOA total.

FYI, depending on your zero (ie. 200 yards, 300 yards, etc) you may not need all 40. However, I'd recommend getting at least one "installation kit" which has one each of the 5/10/20 inserts; better yet get two as the shipping for the second set you'll need will be more than the cost of the kit. I've found opticsplanet to be the best price, especially with free shipping.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:11 PM
GNERGY

I'd just put that scope on there for now, and if it holds up for a while you can save for a Burris.
I just got my 338 RUM barreled action ( Broughton )back from Jim at Center shot rifles and it has his muscle brake on it. I bought a Burris Black Diamond 6x-24x-50mm to put on it. That is my 7th Burris scope.
Just my .02
Tarey
Old 02-13-2010, 02:00 AM
Gold Member

If you do use your nikon I would love to here how it does. I love nikons but have not tried one on anything harder than 6.5 lb 300 win and the glass on my uncles burris is beautiful but while my nikon has no problem riding on the four weeler, his burris looses it's zero every-time and it has gone back to get a clean bill of heath from the factory, just shows you never know till you try. My nikon cost about a third the money of his burris.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:11 PM
Gold Member

buckbrush

I have a M700 LSS 338 RUM w/o any kind of brake or porting that started with a Leupold Vari X III 2.5x8 with M1 dials and then upgraded to a Mark 4 4.5x14x40mm with M1 dials. I have never had a single problem.

My nephew has a M700 XCR 338 RUM with a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40mm that has held up,sorta.
It doesn't always hold its zero, close but not dead on like the Leupolds have for me.

JD338