Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Wild R/Finder: First Outing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2002, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Wild R/Finder: First Outing

Catshooter

I have the Russian LRU-1 laser Military units that are the most powerful of the Military lasers to date that we have found. They will rang to 12 Miles with a 5 meter plus or minus error.

Many of my hunting friends and I have them.
I have two to sell at $2950.00 each with 2 batteries, battery charger, adaptors and cables. Even a small tripod and azemeth setup plus a remote switch where you don't even touch the laser when it's fired. These are new units out of Russia. They will range in ANY weather condition without fail.

My Wild and Barr and Strouds sit in the closet now.

Darryl Cassel
814-546-2674
Old 03-19-2002, 06:38 PM
Gold Member

Darrel...

>"Catshooter, I have the Russian LRU-1 laser Military units that are the most powerful of the Military lasers to date that we have found. They will rang to 12 Miles with a 5 meter plus or minus error."<

A good friend has one of the Russian units, and it is quite nice... though it is not power that determines the range with these units... it is the time limit on the gates, and when they stop looking for the return signal, that is the limiting issue. Power has nothing to do with it.
The AN/GVS-5 will read a flat black target, at a 45 degree angle, in direct, noon sun light (worst case scenero)...
... and I have discovered (by chance) that it will also read targets to 4000 meters in medium fog (viz about 300 meters).

Any of these military Lasers are 3x more than you or I need.

>"My Wild and Barr and Strouds sit in the closet now."<

I'm not about to give up on my Wild... I have shot dogs over the flats in South Dakota, near Senic, and when ranging over "pool table" areas, at many small targets, the lasers fail badly...
... they get many (false) returns, as the beam skims just a foot or two over the ground, and in a crowded town the laser will have a tough time picking one dog... particularly if you are seeing the doggie through fences or other obsticles.

The Wild excels under these condidtions.

There is room enough for both... "He who dies with the most toys... WINS"

CatShooter.

LRH member #23
Old 03-19-2002, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

Catshooter

I hunt mostly in rolling hills, mountains, and steep areas which is ideal for the Laser.

The Russian will range in light snow and rain, in sunlight, in shade and the reading will be the same. I have ranged out to 12 Miles with it and the target came back time after time, The same.

I have not tried it on desert type terrain that is completely flat yet but, will certainly do it when I get the chance.

I know it will pick up a certain deer or elk in a head out to 5000 meters without any problems and will repeat time after time.

I always used the Barr and Stroud and Wild untill I got the Russian Laser. I do think theres room for BOTH types, most certainly.
I prefer the Russian laser though and have used both for many years. The portability is the lasers adavantage right off.

Darryl Cassel
Old 03-24-2002, 05:56 PM
Gold Member

I just got in from my 3rd outing with my new Wild rangefinder. On the first 2 outings I got a crow at 395 meters and one at 450 meters. Thank you for your help finding one of the most useful tools for long range varmint hunting I have found. I have a Niteforce 8-32 scope and thought the range finder in that scope was nice but it doesn't even come close. I made a Metric Trajectory chart for my 40 X in 220 swift and went to my big field put a target out and started ranging and shooting the first stop I made was 340 meters shot 3 shots to get started I was right on so moved out further I ended up at 465meters. I adjusted the scope for the range and shot 3 shots. All were on the target. Lets go out to the end of the field and see if this will work agene. It was 690 meters I adjusted the scope and put three shots in the target doesn't get much easer than that there was no wind.
Eric