Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Wild R/Finder: First Outing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2002, 08:32 AM
Silver Member

Wild R/Finder: First Outing

Note, below is a post I put at end of previous thread. I got 2 emails on this unit, so I thought I'd repost to show ya'll who may be considering getting one. I'm telling ya, GET ONE before their gone.

Evening Folks,

Got a chance to play with my "Wild" thing today after work and I am IMPRESSED, this unit is Mint!!!!! I can tell you right now that there is no way this unit can be used to its full capabilities. I ranged stuff as far as 1300 yds and its a piece of cake. I wanted to sit on my deck overseeing a stubble field and wait for the deer to start moving and try it on critters, but kinda chilly to sit on deck enjoying some of millwakee's finest in 20 degree wx with the sun disapeering.. I will report on that when I do.. (range critters that is)

Overview: I bought the "B" grade as it was $399.00. The carrying case is has normal wear & tear considering its 30 years old and been in storage. Bear in mind this unit was designed for artillary use, made to take abuse and took some. The unit itself is in damn good shape, I'm happy.. Deustche Optik's service has been very good.

It has 2 tripods, a large wooden 3 ft (for kneeling/or sitting) and a shorter 1 ft'r (for prone use) that fits into the wooden one and providing a crude vertical adjustment. I consider the wood tripod to be very crude but it serves it's purpose. I intend to take the little that contains the mounting head and make an adapter plate that will allow me use of a conventional tripod.

Another modification I am going to do is to make my own custom case for the optical unit and tripods. The tripod is fastened to the case right now using leather straps, kind of cheesy but works..

Overall I am very happy and I had a blast while set up in my driveway "testing" and noting the neigbors do a double take as they drove by.

Any questions or advice, please just email & ask.

Rod (Nodak7mm)

Member #92
Old 03-03-2002, 10:59 AM
Silver Member

Re: Wild R/Finder: First Outing

Some of the Wilds came with a ball joint mount--that's thge berries. You can do it yourself if you look around.
Old 03-04-2002, 11:38 PM

Your satisfaction is certainly understandable. I bought a Barr & Stroud from Deutsche Optik back when the Wild cost a LOT more. Then, when the Wilds were all that were left at Deutsche Optik, and the price for a Wild dropped even below the price of the B&S, I bought a Wild, too. Don't need both, of course, but can't bring myself to part with either one. (FWIW, a friend who used to live in Switzerland told me that the name "Wild" on Swiss optics products is pronounced "Villed," to rhyme with "filled.")

Both the Barr & Stroud and the Wild are more accurate if you zero 'em correctly and check their zero for every trip afield. There's an index mark for "infinity" on the zeroing wheel -- set it on "infinity" when you have the moon, Venus, or Polaris coincident in the scope, and your range-finder is accurately zeroed. I used the moon to zero my Wild as soon as it arrived. Polaris is what I use to orient my old Ainsworth (the original Brunton) "pocket transit" with true North.

Also, the original military manual for the Wild (did you get a copy with your Wild?) instructs the soldier to take SEVERAL range readings and average them, and NOT to assume that taking only one reading is accurate enough. Not a bad idea, especially at the longest shooting ranges where (a) range readings lose accuracy and (b) bullets arc downward more nearly vertically, making accurate range readings more critical.
Old 03-09-2002, 02:52 PM
Gold Member

NoDak...

I bought one of the Wild range finders when they first came in. It was like new, and came with a nice case, a "lathe board" for calibration, a short tripod, and a beautiful large tripod, with solid oak legs, brass fittings, and a "mils" wheel for asmuth measurements. I paid $1,000 for it, and it's one of my nicest shooting toys... I love it.

I have several Laser rangefinders, including a very big US military unit, good to 10,000yds (under badd conditions), but if I were going to SoDak or Montana for Prairie Dogs, I would take only the Wild.

CatShooter

LRH member #23
Old 03-09-2002, 08:19 PM

CatShooter
Tell us about the US Military unit in the post above. Such as Name,Price,And where they are available.......Thanks.....
Old 03-13-2002, 11:36 AM
Gold Member

Wayne... The military laser is a AN/GVS-5, and with a battery charger, was $4,500.

They are very hard to find. It will read to 10,000 meters under the worst conditions... black target under full noon sunlight (even light fog!!).

It's very nice, but not a cure-all for every situation.

CatShooter.

LRH member #23
Old 03-16-2002, 03:33 PM
Platinum Member

Just got my Wild range finder from Deutsche the other day.Looks real good for a $300 grade c.The only thing I found were a few light scratches on lens.If they work as good as everyone says it aught to make long range prairie dogs a little easier=CJ

[ 03-17-2002: Message edited by: Mach V ]