close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Why are US Optics so expensive?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-22-2009, 05:39 PM

Re: Why are US Optics so expensive?

I've been using USOs since JBW II's days and will continue to do so. I've had a chance to use USOs under almost-starlight-only conditions, side by side a Premier Reticles modified Mark 4. Although it wasn't easy, at 10X I was able to engage plate-sized targets. I wasn't able to do it using the Leupold at the same magnification....

Mike at CSGW: Than you for selling me the USO ST10 CSGW edition

Calidude
    Unread 06-23-2009, 07:35 AM
    Gold Member

+1 I bought my first USO from JB#2. I got my 3rd USO from JBW#3. Their customer service is great and the product incredible. They are not out of line with other top of the line optics products, like S&B or Hensoldt (SP?).

JeffVN

Unread 06-23-2009, 10:32 AM
    Platinum Member

I've used nothing but NF recently and have never looked thru a USO or S&B.

To date I'm more than confident in NF tuffness but I don't know anyone who would turn away better optics.

Are the USO and S&B optics alot better than NF?
    Unread 06-23-2009, 11:24 AM
    Silver Member

if i never look through one i will never want one. I made that mistake with a Nightforce, herd they were really nice but did not know for myself. My buddy bought one and i shot his rifle with it on it and now i am saving to buy one as a matter of fact i might buy one today. My smith called me and said my custom build will be done this week so i do have a demanding need. i found a new one 5.5 X 22 X 56 np1 reticle for 1531.00 does that sound like a good price? that does not include rings.
    i know some us optics and that hendsoldt start out about this much and go up from their. i can not imagine paying 3,000.00 + for a scope but then again 2 years ago i gringed at paying 500.00 for a lupy. how things change?
    Unread 06-23-2009, 02:45 PM
    Platinum Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by B23 View Post
    I've used nothing but NF recently and have never looked thru a USO or S&B.

To date I'm more than confident in NF tuffness but I don't know anyone who would turn away better optics.

Are the USO and S&B optics alot better than NF?

If you use and own all three (have for 20 years) then you will know the answer. I use NF on my 1K competition rifles but use the S&B and USO for pretty much everything else. If you ever use the USO or S&B in less than ideal conditions it is likely that you will buy another one.
    Unread 06-27-2009, 10:02 PM
    Platinum Member

I cant say that USO's are not worht the extra $$$$ over a NF, because I have never hunted with or looked through one.

What I do know is my NF is more scope than I need, and I like that. I have easily seen game, in hunting conditions, set on 22x, at last legal light (30 min after sunset in mid Dec - and that is dark). As for toughness... how tough does a scope have to be? If i took a tumble down a steep rock slide with my rifle and scope, I would be more concerned with rings than the scope. IMHO, the NF scope is tougher than the rings. And oh yeah, let's no forget about the NF that got a bullet hole through it in combat, and except for the fact that the power mag was stuck on 15x, the scope performed flawlessly, never loosing zero.... so once again, how tough does a scope have to be.

Also, who needs a FFP? (I can feel the flames already ) I shoot with my scope set in one of two power settings... all the way down (5.5) or all the way up (22). If the game is close enough to shoot on 5.5, I can hold on or just above the back. Farther than that... crank it up to 22x

I wont say a USO isnt worth the extra $$$$, but for twice the cost it better be reeeeeealy goooood... and since I'm not a starlight shooter, my scope doesn't need to be any gooder than it is

JM three cents...

-MR
    Unread 06-28-2009, 08:00 AM
    Platinum Member

When you get used to the FFP it is hard to step back....