Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Why a 50mm objective ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2007, 01:08 PM
Platinum Member

Why a 50mm objective ?

Where does a 50mm objective help out over a 40mm?

Also does an Adjustable Objective make that big of a difference?
Old 01-12-2007, 03:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Why a 50mm objective ?

Three reasons:

1. In dim light with the power selector turned up.

Optimally, you would want about a 6mm exit pupil of light for maximum brightness to your eye in low light conditions. With a 50mm objective lens you could have the power turned up to about 8.5X and still achieve this goal. With a 40mm objective you would have to reduce the magnification to about 6.7X. Is it worth the extra weight, bulk & expense of the 50mm <> Not in my opinion.

2. For a larger light column which makes for a less critical eye/scope alignment and a more rapid sight picture aquisition.

It's hard to judge the value of this but I rarely (if ever)take snap shots so it has limited value to me.

3. Large objective scopes look very impressive to some gun owners.

Value of this attribute ***** Priceless [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
Value of this attribute ***** Priceless [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

HA! - I love it.

99% of the time, that's the only reason to have one. The down side is that they have to be mounted higher, cheek position is compromised, and they are heavier and more awkward.

LRH member #23
Old 01-13-2007, 01:04 AM
Silver Member

A 50mm obj picks op more than 50%more light than a 40mm. It's brighter (noticeable in poor light)

Adj Obj. It CAN make a BIG difference - it just depends what you want to do with the scope. It bocomes more important the CLOSER you intend to shoot and the Higher the magnification.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:01 AM
Gold Member

POP,

Well, I would have said there's far more to it than simply comparing exit pupil diameters.

Comparing 40 to 50mm is only relevant if you are comparing scopes of the same quality.....one of 'China's Finest' scopes in 50mm will not be as good as a quality 40mm.

(Once you are comparing scopes of similar quality) do some reading (web search) on 'twilight factor' and resolving power.

.....and remember that the surface area of the front lens goes up by the square of the radius so (as with Chris's point) small increases in diameter give BIG increases in surface area....hence the often seen military compromise of 42mm. Talking of military, the Brit Army switched to 50mm scopes some time ago; I believe the USMC have done the same.

All that said, it's only a real issue if you anticipate a requirement for decent magnification when shooting in poor light (in which I would include heavy mountain overcast...not just twilight). If weight's more important to you, you should save a few ounces with the narrower objective.

...as regards 'AO', revise the question to 'parallax adjustable' and I would say definitely get it; it makes your scope forgiving of inconsistent head position/ eye alignment. An actual 'Adjustable Objective' is a non-starter for field use (IMHO) because you will have to break position to reach forward to adjust it, side turret parallax adjustment is the only way to go.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I would have said there's far more to it than simply comparing exit pupil diameters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've stated the benefits that I'm familiar with. Could you elaborate on the others. Always interested in learning something new.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member

thanx gents [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]