Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Who makes quality scopes with one inch per click elevation ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2007, 05:54 PM
Silver Member

You got it

after a complete turn I can't remember if I'm on turn 8 or turn 7 so I end up going all the way down and counting back up to get my zero back it's slow but it works. With my Nightforce NPR2 I just count down the hash marks and make the shot. With the NPR2 I zero off of the top hash mark and then I can go to 30 MOA and never need to put a click on the scope. OK so having a Nightforce made me dumb and lazy. I have to many guns to put a 1650.00 dollar NXS Nightforce on all of them. I will check out the ones you listed ,

Thanks,Keith
Old 10-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Gold Member

USO

they will make you whatever you want

1doug
Old 10-06-2007, 12:30 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
after a complete turn I can't remember if I'm on turn 8 or turn 7 so I end up going all the way down and counting back up to get my zero back it's slow but it works.
You do know those little lines on the stationary part of the turret are put there for a reason, don't you?

Shouldn't be any question as to what revolution you're on. If there is... heck you have ten fingers, right? You should be able to count to at least ten w/o any problem

Lordy, I hope you never use seating dies w/ micrometer tops (same style of marking), or god forbid, a vernier scale (okay, even I hate those things).

I have more problems w/ the R2 scale because there isn't really a distinction between '5' and '10' vs. '4' and '8'.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanuk View Post
You do know those little lines on the stationary part of the turret are put there for a reason, don't you?

Shouldn't be any question as to what revolution you're on. If there is... heck you have ten fingers, right? You should be able to count to at least ten w/o any problem

Lordy, I hope you never use seating dies w/ micrometer tops (same style of marking), or god forbid, a vernier scale (okay, even I hate those things).

I have more problems w/ the R2 scale because there isn't really a distinction between '5' and '10' vs. '4' and '8'.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Gold Member

I meant R1... double the number of hash marks on the vertical plane. The get awful close together. Handy in the ability to hold off *exactly* 1 MOA, and 2 MOA wind hashes are actually useful, as opposed to 5 moa on the R2.

I'd swear mine doesn't have the wider hash @ 10 MOA down, but I don't feel like going out and looking thru it ;)

Anyway, you can see what I'm talking about here... look at the lines on the portion of the turret *under* the cap. Look at those numbers and lines. Should eliminate any confusion as to what turn you are on.

Holding over is all well and good, but holding over 14 minutes and holding left 6-3/4 minutes gets a bit tricky, shy of using a Horus reticle.

If you really can't wrap your mind around how to use a simple micrometer turret, maybe you would do better w/ a x-mas tree type reticle like the Horus.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member

I'm kind of on Kidoutlaw's side here. I can pretty much understand where he's coming from. I guess we're a very small subset of people who think like this but we do exist.

Tracking clicks just ain't what I'm used to and I have a lot of years under my belt. I never thought of using the upper 5 mil bar to sight in, though. I'm afraid that is a bit too much for me to track also.

I zero @ 300 (on the center) for the flat shooter and 350 for the rainbow. With the flat shooter 5 mils down puts me at 1200 yds, 950 for the rainbow gun.

I have no problem descerning tenths of a mill on big game. Its kind of a bracketing thing. The top and bottom of a mil dot is 0.1 mil from its center. A mil dot is o.2 mil in dia.. That leaves 0.8 mils space between them. This thinkin' works ok for big game but clicking is much better for smaller stuff like yotes.

However, the biggest problem is reticle in mils and turrets in moa.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:16 AM
Silver Member

I can count to 10

and the lines are not on my Leupold VX 3 4.5-14 not every scope I own is a Nightforce if they were I would not have ask the question in the first place. In fact only my Nightforce has the lines none of my Leupold's have them. I see the caliber of members has changed,

Thanks,Keith