Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Where to get a Mark V canted base?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Platinum Member

Where to get a Mark V canted base?

I'd like a base with some extra elevation in it for a Mark V rifle but I can't find one anywhere.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Gold Member

Re: Where to get a Mark V canted base?

Ken Farrell builds them.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member

Near MFG. Richard Near. IMO they are the very best for a Mark V.

http://www.scopebases.com/products.htm

Jeff
Old 12-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Tyler , the Mark V and Vanguard use the same base as the Remington 700 , so if your wanting some additional MOA , I suggest a base from Glenn Seekins.

The Near bases are well built but not worth what they charge , not to start an arguement or beat a dead horse any longer but theirs realy no benifit is using a steel base over a well made aluminum the high grade aluminum is nearly as strong , its like opening up the scope base holes to 8-40 , the 6-48's will hold any properly mounted scope on a rifle perfectly well , if you smack your scope hard enough to shear off 4 6-48 screws then the base comming off is the least of your worries as your scope will likely be in several pieces
Old 12-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

I don't care what base you buy, but owning several Weatherby I can tell you that although some 700 Rem bases will fit. Not all Weatherby Vanguards, and Mark V's take the same base. Not looking for a debate, just stating facts.

Jeff
Old 12-16-2008, 02:59 AM
Bronze Member

Yeah, I'm having a hard time getting my brain wrapped around this one, too.

Looking at Talley's site, for two piece mounts, it seems Mk V = Vanguard at least for height, but as the height difference between front and rear ring for the Weatherbys is .125" , for Rem700 it is stated as .110 . On the other hand, my copy of "The Military and Police Sniper" by Mike R. Lau states two base heights for Rem700, pre-74 ( .117" ) and post-74 ( .100" ) . With information as differing as this, I can't even be bothered to start comparing the screw hole distances on the receivers.

If only Rem700 bases indeed did fit, I'd order the Pierce Engineering rings for my Vanguard this instant. Just like Talley lightweights, attaching directly onto the receiver, but with up to 30 MOA taper, which Talleys don't have. And, because they haven't answered my e-mails, they obviously aren't interested in manufacturing...
Old 12-16-2008, 06:25 AM
Platinum Member

95% of the bases out theirs screw holes will vary more than .010" , the best thing to do would be get a set of calipers and measure your base holes.
run a screw in the holes a few turns and measure outside to outside then subtract one screw diameter , that will give you a center to center screw hole distance.

I've used Rem 700 long action bases one 3 Weatherby MK-V's and 2 Vanguards with no problem , but I suppose that theirs exceptions to everything